Speaking of Reiner and Respighi...
Jul 28, 2005 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SoundsGood

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone here had the chance to A/B the RCA Living Stereo CD release of Respighi's Pines of Rome (Reiner/Chicago Symphony) to the newly remastered XRCD release?

I have the opportunity to compare them right now as my dad owns the XRCD, and I own the Living Stereo CD. I can write more later with some comments, but I can definitely hear a difference between the two, with much preference going to the XRCD. A $20 difference? Depends on your pocketbook I guess. If you've got the cash, then I would say yes. If not, I would stick with the Living Stereo CD.

Of course, now that RCA will most likely be reissuing this as part of their Living Stereo SACD series, that will make for a good comparison to the XRCD. Certainly will be an interesting comparison.

On a side note, which recordings do people here like of Pines of Rome? I'm still looking for an equal to the Reiner classic.

Jul 28, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm assuming you're looking for an over-the-top thrill ride? Well, the Muti is sensational, as is the Maazel/Sony and an amazing buy on Naxos with Batiz. But for my Roman-orgy eargasm, I pull out Dutoit on London -- forget headphones, this is subwoofer country! Pines is hard to screw up musically, it just requires a great recording, which is why, alas, the Toscanini can't be included.

Jul 29, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
I'm assuming you're looking for an over-the-top thrill ride? Well, the Muti is sensational, as is the Maazel/Sony and an amazing buy on Naxos with Batiz. But for my Roman-orgy eargasm, I pull out Dutoit on London -- forget headphones, this is subwoofer country! Pines is hard to screw up musically, it just requires a great recording, which is why, alas, the Toscanini can't be included.

I have the Muti, and agree it's good. As good as Reiner? I don't think so, IMHO. I just don't think the playing compares to the CSO. Also, for me at least, some of Muti's tempi border on too fast. Interesting, I've never read a recommendation for Maazel/Sony, (didn't know it existed, actually) always the classic Maazel/Decca. How do the two compare, if you have heard the Maazel/Decca? Dutoit's Pines might be around here somewhere, I'll have to look. I've only heard the Toscanini on an LP; sound was below subpar, so it was hard for me to judge.

I give high marks to Mata/Dallas Symphony. Tremendous recording, the Dallas Symphony are on top form. Somehow, the energy seems to wane a bit in The Pines of the Appian Way. Not disastrously so, but I felt a little bit. Nevertheless, I could certainly recommend this recording.

I agree, Pines needs a great recording. It also needs superlative playing. It's true that it's hard to mess up from a conductor's standpoint. You just need to let orchestra paint the pictures, guided by some careful balances from the conductor. And of course let them play the hell out of it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 4
I've got the Sinopoli with the NYPO. He's slow... as he has a reputation of being... but he pays attention to the details that make the piece picturesque. Very beautiful musicmaking.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back