Speaking of Coke...Songs that Stick in Your Head
May 15, 2006 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dvallere

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone here old enough to remember when "I'd like to teach the world to sing" was adapted for Coke commercials? "I'd like to buy the world a Coke, (blah blah blah)"?? It was sort of concurrent with the Maxell ad being discussed in the other post.

The other night my son's kindergarten class had a Mother's Day concert and sang that song (the real one). Admittedly I was daydreaming a bit while it went on. I kept wondering why the lyrics were different from how I remembered. Bleah.

Now the Coke version's been stuck in my head ever since reading the Coke/Pepsi poll. Argh.

What's your worst "can't get it out of my head" song?

May 15, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 16
This thread will be annoying, I'm gonna get all these songs stuck in my head when I see them mentioned. Anyway, I'll get it over with and mention "It's a Small World"

May 15, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 16
LALALALA LALALALA ELMO'S WORLD!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 15, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 16
Hopefully this song won't stick to you as bad as I had it. The TV was on the other evening and Emeril (food guy) had a country band playing between the breaks. He was promoting their CD and they did "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" leading into a commercial, and again at the end of the show.

It stuck with me until the next day
mad.gif

I'd love to play it for you now
tongue.gif

May 15, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 16
thank you dvallere. I got that song stuck in my head by just reading the subject line...

thank you and I hate you. Kthxbye lol

May 16, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 16
This makes me laugh, because this type of thing happens to me with the CRAPPIEST of songs/jingles..... Some highlights:

- Delta Dawn from Helen Reddy - from my mother playing it a lot when I was younger

- An Oldsmobile theme song - this one lasted DAYS! "This is not your father's Oldsmobile....this is the new generation...OF OLDS!"

- Hi Ho, Hi Ho - heard EVERY friggin' time my wife and I entered an elelvator in Orlando (and it wasn't even Disney property!)

- This is the song that never ends..... (many folks with youngsters may know this one)

But then there are the good ones......

- Goo Goo Muck by the Cramps. I hummed and sang this so much in 12th grade, I got about a dozen people into it

- The Ship Song by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - my wife hates this so much, and my son ALWAYS requested it in the car when he was around 4 years old! It got stuck in my head, but that was very much OK

May 16, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychogentoo
thank you dvallere. I got that song stuck in my head by just reading the subject line...

thank you and I hate you. Kthxbye lol

Hey, if I'm suffering, I'm going to spread it around as much as possible!

The Super Mario 64 music is pretty bad for stickin' in the head. There was a point where Alex was playing it every day for about 2 weeks straight and it even started running through my dreams.

May 16, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 16
It's not that I have a song stuck in my head that I hate, it's that I usually get songs that I hate in my head, typically from what my wife listens to on the radio. What could be worse than having rascal flatts in your head???
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

May 16, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
It's not that I have a song stuck in my head that I hate, it's that I usually get songs that I hate in my head, typically from what my wife listens to on the radio. What could be worse than having rascal flatts in your head???
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

See post # 9.....Delta Dawn by Helen Reddy
tongue.gif
eek.gif

May 16, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 16
Ring, ring, ring, ring, bananaphone. and some song I assume is from Sesame Street, it has some monster mumbling the main line of the song. Sorry, I can't decribe it any better than that!

May 16, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
Hey, if I'm suffering, I'm going to spread it around as much as possible!

The Super Mario 64 music is pretty bad for stickin' in the head. There was a point where Alex was playing it every day for about 2 weeks straight and it even started running through my dreams.

ZOMG why did I open this thread....damn you Mario!!! oh noes.

Dvallere...more like Devillere....

May 16, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 16
I love it when I get something stuck in my head that I really like, but can't remember what band it is. I'll think about it all day, and then figure it out and then listen to the song, that is one of the most satisfying musical experiences...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back