Speakers!
Sep 12, 2004 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
OK. I have a nice set up going here. I have an Arcam FMJ-33, Krell 400xi, Thiel 2.4s. Throw in the Airtunes and Airport express. I have never music sound this good. I had the 1.6s and they sounded a little thin. Man these 2.4s are truly awesome. My wife hates the way they look. I might need some help here. I know this has nothing to do with headphones. I'm not done, believe me! The feeling that comes out of this speaker system through the the Arcam is awesome.

Sep 12, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 20
I love the 2.4. The Thiel CS line is in the running for my next pair of speakers. I've hung out with some of the Thiel guys and I am thoroughly convinced that they are among the best in the industry. It's kind of strange that you don't hear about them as mcuh.

Sep 12, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 20
I am so impressed by 2.4s. They blow the 1.6s away that I previously owned. I would say they soujnd like Grados with Senheisser bass.

Sep 13, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 20
Sep 13, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 20
Thiels or Vandersteens are going to be my next speaker. They have that clean, open, no bulls#it midrange I love in my Spica. I always liked Thiels, even the earliest ones. I think I once even heard some .5s, if that is correct. I'm always on the look out for some used 3.6. Stand those babies some distance from the rear wall and their soundstage is DEEP. I've got to listen to some 2.4s!

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 20
It's funny how serious headphone listeners flock to certain speakers like Theils,Vandersteens,Von Shweikerts,Green Mountain and other time and phase correct speakers. I tried to explain this to Tyll a while back and I don't think he agreed but take a look at the speaker choices of headphone listeners.

Anyway,I like the 2.4s only whend riven by a powerful solid state amp. I have never heard these,the 2.3 or 1.6 sound good with tubes.

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 20
I have a pair of Galante Buckinghams, and I use them with SET amplifiers, esp Welbourne Labs Laurels 300B. These horn speakers weigh 101lbs each, and they do 100db/watt. That means you need just a few watts to play music fairly loud.

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 20
Man, if that isn’t one nice setup! What finish is your cabinets on the 2.4s? Did you get the black, or silver with 400xi, and FMJ-33? :speakers
eggosmile.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #11 of 20
Yeah, my uncle, who can afford any speakers he wants, just did a whole-house audio system w/ Bryston amps, massive hard drive, Scout, etc. and he chose the Thiels too. He was very impressed and I can't wait to hear them myself.
CPW

Sep 16, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 20
OK. The wife nixed the 2.4s, too big for the livingroom! So I went with the 1.6s. Had to loose the outriggers, WAF. What is the best for speaker to hardwood floors? Spikes with something under them or a rubber type foot?
The 1.6s give up a little on the bottom the the 2.4s, but image like crazy!
lroom.jpg

Sep 16, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #14 of 20
Lextek...time to get some gerG-styled subwoofers in there! (not really) ...seriously though, get a sub for more action-packed music
tongue.gif

...well...if the bass isn't that great for you.

lol, if your wife hates towers, she'd loathe the half-stack I want to make
biggrin.gif
(for guitar if you didn't know, 4*12" speakers...)

Sep 16, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Looks like you've furnished that room with a minimalist philosophy in mind.
wink.gif

There is a leather chair that sits in the corner when not listening. The other side has a chair, two tables and a sofa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back