Speakers under 80
Apr 23, 2005 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bigDman

New Head-Fier
hey i am looking for speakers for my computer

i have aabout 80$ to spend and I listin to rock, punk, techno, Hardcore, Scremo, and stuff of that sort. I need nice bass

i wouldnt like to spend more then 80$ but less is certintly an option

Logitech® Z-3e and was wondering if they were good or if there is better for the price any input would be greatly appricated

also i have a Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD™ Audio sound card and is there anything i can do to make it sound better

Thanks Alot
600smile.gif

Paul

Apr 24, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 13
Welcome to Head-Fi.

I don't know the Logitech's, but check out Cambridge Soundworks (including it's outlet). They're owned now by Creative, but the CSW lines are still very very nice for the price. Cambridge SoundWorks "SoundWorks" are worth a look. Depending where you live, there may even be a brick and mortar store you can give a listen. Use coupon code 15OFFSPKR to knock 15% off.

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 13
More importantly, what are you using for headphones? You could get better bang for your buck with good headphones than cheap pc speakers.

Apr 24, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 13
JBL Control 1
I've heard them once and they offer good sound for the price asked.

edit: They require an amp however.

Apr 24, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 13
bigDman, if you're on the above site and comparing Cambridge Soundworks line speakers versus Creative line speakers, I've never heard a Creative win (usually too thin and tinny in comparison). Don't know if that's because CSWs history is a speaker company and Creatives is a computer audio company, but I just wanted to point that out. Does the $70 before discount CSW Soundworks (or $50 from their Outlet store) sound better than the $100 before discount Creative L3500? Don't know as I haven't heard those two side-by-side. But if I was wagering a bet, I'd say yeah. If you can push up the price a bit (I know, but that's what we do here.
wink.gif
) The MicroWorks II (which I've heard recently and very impressed for an multimedia setup) is available for $120 (Outlet).

Another option is to go for a bookself setup. You'll get better speakers, but you'll often need an amp (maybe an old receiver someone is giving away?) to power them.

Apr 25, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 13
head phones i have sony ex71
i could get a cheap crappy amp for 20
do you have a link for the MicroWorks II for 120 ill look into those but i need a while to get the money

Apr 25, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 13
Apr 25, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 13
Buy the cheapest working receiver you can find on Ebay and buy a pair of Fostex FE126E drivers. Mount each driver to a large 1/2" thick MDF board (24"x48") and you'll probably have better sound than any commerical offering in your price range. If you're really industrious, you could even make a full enclosure with an appropriate port. You won't have earth-shattering bass, as frequency response drops off after about 70Hz, but you can always add a cheap sub later. Your other option is to save up a few more bucks and buy a used set of Logitech Z-560's (predecessor to the Z-680's and Z-5500's). Considering they were around $140 new online, they can't be that expensive used on ebay. The shipping cost will suck though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back