speakers to xbox?
Feb 11, 2010 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

exX08

500+ Head-Fier
im not sure where this goes so i posted it in the computer forum too. anyways....so i have a pair of logitech x-530 or somthin like that. it's been a while since i got them. anyway its a 5.1 setup and i was wondering if there was somethin i could get so that i could use them for my xbox 360? like a cord or something?

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 5
The 360 has no analog 5.1 input. I do know it has some sort of optical/stereo RCA output. If you have an AV receiver that can handle multi-channel speakers and decode Dolby digital, then that's your solution.

Connect the 360 to the stereo system via optical, set the 360 to DD 5.1, then from the receiver, have it drive your 5.1 speakers (IF you can connect them to the receiver).

I don't think there's any other way to get "5.1" sound without using Dolby Digital on the 360. The standard output for digital is 2.1 PCM or you'll have to go with analog stereo.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Dolby digital is only transmitted using the optical cable, if you're going to connect RCA directly to your xbox, you're not going to get surround sound.

The most you can get using a stereo-RCA output using that converter, is just 5 speakers that "sound like" they're surrounding you, but you're not getting true positional sound that you want out of a 5.1 setup. Since the source is natively 2-channel, there is no way to make it sound "5.1 positional surround sound" unless you used some sort of DSP in a receiver such as Dolby PL II or DTS Gaming, but you don't have that.

Therefore, if you want positional 5.1 surround, you need some sort of system that will take optical as an input and can decode Dolby digital signals OR a system that can take any stereo input, and can process that sound using a DSP such as ProLogic-Gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back