Speakers to match HD650?
Mar 27, 2007 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mateo05

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of speakers to match the sound of my current headphone configuration: a pair of HD650 off a Singlepower MPX3 Slam SE (Sylvania 6SN7W as driver, 6BX7 output). The most important qualities of this setup to me are the smoothness and fullness/richness of the sound, I guess pretty much the stereotype of the HD650. I doubt I'll tolerate a thin sound or a harsh treble. But, I do shy away from the more "tubier" tubes, so I guess take that as you will.

I'll be running my speaker setup with some sort of room correction, either TACT or Acourate, so I will have some influence over the final sound of the system- but the speaker sound is still important. I've been running in circles reading reviews and forums, but I would like the input of headfiers who know where I'm coming from. I know auditioning is the only way to really make a choice, but I'd like to limit my initial selection if possible.

What makes it tricky for me are the limitations I have on the speakers, since I'll be in a smaller room and need them to be easily moveable. They must be either monitors or small-footprint floorstanders, maximum no more than ~15" deep, preferably smaller. Also, they cannot weigh more than ~55-60 lb per speaker. Finally, they must be sealed, front-ported, or otherwise kind to close-wall placement. (If not for all of this, I'd just grab a pair of AV123 Strata Mini and be done with it)

I am looking for suggestions for both a subwoofer and subwoofer-less configuration. I have little idea where my budget will fall, so I'm open to anything ~$3k and down, preferably used. Brands/models I'm thinking about so far are:

Merlin TSM-MM w/ Velodyne DD-10
Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Sig monitors front-ported
something Harbeth (HL5?)
Vandersteen 2ce
Zu Druid or Tone w/ Mini Method

I'm hesitant because it seems that some who like the HD650 go for more "analytic" speakers (Sleestack w/ Merlins, Tom Hankins w/ Thiels). The Merlins sound great for both sound and form factor, but I'm worried they might be a bit too dry. The Tylers/Harbeths/Vandersteens are pushing it size-wise, but are a safer "warmer" option. The Zus are intriguing and a backup if I intend to keep headphones too- their efficiency means I could probably have Mikhail cook up something to drive both cans and speakers well.

In my selection, I'd rather err with too much bass that could be corrected rather than not enough. Still, would a subwoofer cause too much of a disturbance to neighbors compared to a more full-range speaker?

Any other suggestions or input? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 14
Dimitris, I got the impression that Vienna were a poor value, but I'll take a closer look again.

Zorander, the Quads are rear-ported, so they're a no-go for me.

Thanks for the input.

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 14
The Viennas are definitely great value but you need to like their character which is laid back and musical as the HD650 (I do!). For the same price I got my Cremonas I could get the full range Grand Beethovens which are definitely way more speaker! Unfortunately there is no way they would fit in my room.
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently heard the Vandersteen 2Ce, for the used prices they go for I was pretty shocked how good they sounded. You don't think they're a bit big for your use? I heard them in a good size dedicated listening room, but it didn't have advanced room correction gear.

They're definitely pushing it sizewise, but I thought them worthy of consideration due to their price and reported sound signature. It's nice to know they're a solid contender.

I'm seriously thinking about the Merlins, and my limited experience with speakers, and I'm starting to doubt my sonic goals. Do you find any differences between your preferred headphones and speakers? I think I might be OK with a more "neutral" speaker compared to a neutral headphone, and like I said other Headfiers' experiences seem to back this up. It just comes down to auditioning, I guess.

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dimitris, I got the impression that Vienna were a poor value, but I'll take a closer look again.

Zorander, the Quads are rear-ported, so they're a no-go for me.

Thanks for the input.

Checkout Wharfedale speakers in that case. They are supposed to use the same materials, are generally front-ported and reportedly sound similar (Quad & Wharfedale are under the same ownership after all). I haven't heard a Wharfedale in action though.

Cheers!

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're definitely pushing it sizewise, but I thought them worthy of consideration due to their price and reported sound signature. It's nice to know they're a solid contender.

I'm seriously thinking about the Merlins, and my limited experience with speakers, and I'm starting to doubt my sonic goals. Do you find any differences between your preferred headphones and speakers? I think I might be OK with a more "neutral" speaker compared to a neutral headphone, and like I said other Headfiers' experiences seem to back this up. It just comes down to auditioning, I guess.

From auditioning a few speakers my speaker preferences are sort of similar to what I look for in a headphone. Analytical, detailed, exceptional midrange, and a slight midbass bump for PRaT. That said the two sets of speakers that absolutely blew me away were Avantgarde Duos and the Wilson WATT/Puppy 7. Hard to place a sound signature on the Wilsons, but I've heard the Avantgardes numerous times at a colleagues and they simply sounded so natural and effortless.

The Vandersteens do sort of sound like the HD600/HD650. They were warm, nice midrange, but didn't have the best imaging. I think I need to hear them at least once more in a more lengthy audition before I can fully make up my mind on them. But right now I was thinking about getting a set in the summertime.

edit: I think it's a coincidence that both of my main headphones lean towards neutral. It's something I do look for but if I could have the above mentioned points in a headphone then I could be very happy with headphones that weren't intended for studio monitoring. Likewise for speakers.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 14
I used to own the Vandersteen 2CE's and I liked them a lot. I think they are the speaker equivalent of the HD650's. The 2CE's are on the warm side and they are detailed but they don't throw the detail in your face. Its a bit laid back, similiar to the 650's. They need a amp with a lot of power and a very good power supply that is stable into 4 ohms. I used a Aragon 4004MKII amp that put out 200W/ch into 8 ohms and 400W/ch into 4ohms. I sold the 2CE's many years ago to a friend. I think they are one of the best speakers under $2000. I don't know what your room size is but if you have a small room, then you might be better off getting smaller stand mounted speakers. In a small room like my living room, I like my Revel M20's on Sound Anchor stands with a REL Strata III sub better than the 2CE's.

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #12 of 14
I have ended up with Dynaudio audience 42, and a pair of 650, I think they are surpricingly alike in the sound, deep organic bass, wonderfull midrange, sweet treble that never gets harsh. The absolutely best thing with them are that they totaly dissapears and the sound really appears outside of them. I think it is hard to find speakers that makes you happy when one is used to HPs but theese I like. There is also a subwoofer in this serie that has got very good reviews.

maybe they are a little cheap for you but I haven't heard better speakers for this price.

They need a relly good and powerfull Amp to sound good.

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 14
Sylvania 6SN7W are one the best of that type around, i also use em in my tube amp. They are getting rare and expensive but a notch better then the other 6sn7 types. Even the famous tungsol isn't any better. Lovely extension in inthe high and low region with controled deep bass.

For detail you might look into electrostats or magnetostats from magnepan. Incredible detail. Most of the time, dynamic speakers are more musical though.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sylvania 6SN7W are one the best of that type around, i also use em in my tube amp. They are getting rare and expensive but a notch better then the other 6sn7 types. Even the famous tungsol isn't any better. Lovely extension in inthe high and low region with controled deep bass.

I completely agree. I own/have tried almost every other tube (including Tung-sol in the 12v version), and it's by far my favorite. Extension without harshness- they're so good at that.

Thanks for the extra suggestions. I won't be making a choice until June or possibly later, but I like thinking ahead. For now the choices are Vandersteen, Wharfedale, and Tyler for sure, still possibly Zu or Merlin. I'll look into Dynaudio some more, too.

BTW, I really wanted to go after the Vienna speakers, but they're rear-ported too
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back