Speakers to match Accuphase Amplifier.
Jul 13, 2015 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sauntere

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I just received an Accuphase E360 amplifier and now want to buy speakers to go with it. 

Has anyone here had experience with these amps. Can anyone suggest a few speaker brands to consider.

It is a 100w class A/B amp with high current capability and large damping factor.
I want speakers which will give me textured and tight bass performance without compromising the mids or top end.
Soundstage depth and width are important.

Ideally i would like a  medium to large standmount/bookshelf design. Not opposed to small floorstanders though.
The current listening area is around 5 meters x 4.5 meters with a rug on tiled floor. Heavy Sofas and chunky wooden coffee table and bookshelfs. 

I listen to literally every kind of music you can think off except thrash metal, country and rap. 

If anyone can give any feedback it would be greatly appreciated since it seems pretty hard to find any information.

Thanks 

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Lucky you! The A360 is a great amplifier with more than enough current capability to drive almost any speaker with the possible exception of some exotic very low impedance speakers. Your choices are virtually unlimited so you don't need to worry about "matching" too much. Please specify a budget and we can make some recommendations. Also, what sources are you using?

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the replies..

Ok a little more information. I am not averse to going second hand.

Budget is anything between 3K to  6K AUD (which is a bit restrictive with the $ being pretty low atm). Could go a bit more but would really rather not.

Brands easily sourced locally are B&W, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber, Dali, Focal (lower range only), Monitor Audio, Paradigm, NHT, Revel(probably too expensive for me), Mordaunt Short, Pioneer, Sony, Proac.

With difficulty i can also get ATC and PMC but without listening first.

I am sure there are more.

Mid to large stand mount required and certainly not a mini monitor style. It is really important that the bass is not overblown, slow or fat... if you know what i mean...

Thanks very much.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 10
I've only heard a handful of Sonus Faber's, the Venere floorstanders, the Liuto monitors (seems to be discontinued), and the Elipsa floorstanders. I would characterize the overall 'house' sound as a bit on the 'warm' or 'romantic' side.

A counterpoint might be Paradigm, which tends to be 'cool' sounding to my ears. However, I was mightily impressed with their Signature S2 standmounts. The bass was tight and tuneful and the rest of the frequency range was well-balanced - this could be a good starting point.

I also listened to the ProAc Tablette at a show and was bowled over by its clarity and imaging. Unfortunately the music being played didn't stress the bass, so I can't give an impression of its performance there.

Finally a word on Monitor Audio's affordable Bronze BX-2. I was at a dealer and he had on hand the previous version and its replacement for an informal A-B. It wasn't even close - the old version sounded much clearer - more open - than the new version. I'm not sure if that translates to their other lines, but I thought I'd throw that out there for your consideration.

Good luck!

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 10
  I've only heard a handful of Sonus Faber's, the Venere floorstanders, the Liuto monitors (seems to be discontinued), and the Elipsa floorstanders. I would characterize the overall 'house' sound as a bit on the 'warm' or 'romantic' side.

A counterpoint might be Paradigm, which tends to be 'cool' sounding to my ears. However, I was mightily impressed with their Signature S2 standmounts. The bass was tight and tuneful and the rest of the frequency range was well-balanced - this could be a good starting point.

I also listened to the ProAc Tablette at a show and was bowled over by its clarity and imaging. Unfortunately the music being played didn't stress the bass, so I can't give an impression of its performance there.

Finally a word on Monitor Audio's affordable Bronze BX-2. I was at a dealer and he had on hand the previous version and its replacement for an informal A-B. It wasn't even close - the old version sounded much clearer - more open - than the new version. I'm not sure if that translates to their other lines, but I thought I'd throw that out there for your consideration.

Good luck!

Hi Yage,

Thanks very much for your considered suggestions. I think i can strike Sonus Fabers off the list since i reckon i need something more neutral to partner the Accuphase. I did have the Liuto on my list since as they are available here. The Paradigms sound like they may be good and i can audition those easily since the dealer is about 20 kilometers away. The same dealer has Sonus Faber as well so i can check them out at the same time.

Interesting about the MAs. I was going to check out the Platinum 100s at some point if i hadn't satisfied myself with something else. They are at the upper end of my budget though.

Regarding the Tablettes, i have heard those and i want more bass than they produce. It's was the only model i have heard apart from larger floorstanders which i don't want for space reasons (oh and price) There may may a larger stand mount in the range that will do the job.

Thanks again.

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 10
I am fan of Quad esl loudspeakers. Especially the larger ones can play rather loud and are super neutral in all frequencies. No bass boom. Often used as monitor in studios. Play perfectly with Accuphase.

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 10
Nice to hear and sounds like a good choice, they are quite reputable speakers yes, I have seen them before, never listened to them though. Happy you reached a good place without much fuss, which usually is connected with the search for hifi bliss.
I am fan of Quad esl loudspeakers. Especially the larger ones can play rather loud and are super neutral in all frequencies. No bass boom. Often used as monitor in studios. Play perfectly with Accuphase.

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #10 of 10
ooops not the authors post, still glad for Donald though. lol. i have heard the MA PL200 with accuphase once and it was something special, i do have the Focal Sopra1 standmount with a E212 accuphase (older model equal to E280), they sound really good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back