Speakers that sound soft, mellow, delicate
Jul 5, 2016 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LayLay

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm having problems with the speakers I've been auditioning. Truth be told, I have yet to audition a great number of them, but I wonder if you guys could point me in the right direction. Speakers need to be available in Europe.

Now then, I don't know if it's the stands or amps (always had them put in direct) or what else, but I've found all speakers to have a tight, strong, rigid, energetic sound, especially in the low end. I'm looking for something mellow, soft, flabby and I'm not even sure how much I need to spend to get what I want, though I probably have to up the ante (was originally looking to spend within 400 euros). I know I really don't want a woofer bigger than 5", 6" at the most. 
So is there something like that out there for me?

P.S. Could it really just be the stands? Is it possible to hate the sound of speakers on pedestals?

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 11
JBL LSR305 studio monitors, 122 Euros each, so 244 Euros for the pair.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jbl_lsr_305.htm?ref=search_rslt_jbl+lsr305_322770_0

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 11
Looking for passive HiFi speakers not active studio monitors. Also don't like anything near-field, like a wide dispersion.

I guess I might as well as about the Q Acoustics 3020. I read many great things and should really go and audition them. Could they have the softness I am looking for? And they on the softer side of speakerage? From the little I had the chance to hear them they sound a bit grainy which I like, or could that have just been the environment? Sorry I know I'm basically rambling, tough to put thoughts together when I don't know what I'm talking about.

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayLay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm having problems with the speakers I've been auditioning. Truth be told, I have yet to audition a great number of them, but I wonder if you guys could point me in the right direction. Speakers need to be available in Europe.

Now then, I don't know if it's the stands or amps (always had them put in direct) or what else, but I've found all speakers to have a tight, strong, rigid, energetic sound, especially in the low end. I'm looking for something mellow, soft, flabby and I'm not even sure how much I need to spend to get what I want, though I probably have to up the ante (was originally looking to spend within 400 euros). I know I really don't want a woofer bigger than 5", 6" at the most. 
So is there something like that out there for me?

P.S. Could it really just be the stands? Is it possible to hate the sound of speakers on pedestals?

First, if it's the stands, they're probably making the speakers sound as they should sound like if they're heavy stands that resist vibration. Many speakers have a tighter kick to the bass given a more solid platform to work in.

Second, it could be a cleaner amplifier and how much you're playing. Wharfedales for example are known to be "laid back," but on Yamaha receivers at the store I tried them out in they sounded tinny. With my NAD 304 driving Wharfedales, B&W, Focals, Dyns, etc, while the overall tone can be different from one speaker to the other (note they're also from different tiers), the one thing they were all consistent at thanks to the NAD was that the beat of the music isn't getting held back. You can easily hear the percussion driving the beat. Use them at lower volume, and the kick on all of them were softer as well.

Maybe what you need is a higher distortion amplifier, but distortion the way you want it. Try a low power tube or hybrid amp with a warm but relatively low efficiency speaker - ex a Dared MP-5 driving a Wharfedale Diamond.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 11

First, if it's the stands, they're probably making the speakers sound as they should sound like if they're heavy stands that resist vibration. Many speakers have a tighter kick to the bass given a more solid platform to work in.

Second, it could be a cleaner amplifier and how much you're playing. Wharfedales for example are known to be "laid back," but on Yamaha receivers at the store I tried them out in they sounded tinny. With my NAD 304 driving Wharfedales, B&W, Focals, Dyns, etc, while the overall tone can be different from one speaker to the other (note they're also from different tiers), the one thing they were all consistent at thanks to the NAD was that the beat of the music isn't getting held back. You can easily hear the percussion driving the beat. Use them at lower volume, and the kick on all of them were softer as well.

Maybe what you need is a higher distortion amplifier, but distortion the way you want it. Try a low power tube or hybrid amp with a warm but relatively low efficiency speaker - ex a Dared MP-5 driving a Wharfedale Diamond.

Exactly what I've got. :)

And yes, the stores had Yamaha receivers. So my amp, together with not putting my speakers on the stands might solve the problems I had with the speakers I listened to? And I should, a bit counterintuitively, be looking at low sensitivity speakers? Thanks. :)

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Exactly what I've got. :)

And yes, the stores had Yamaha receivers. So my amp, together with not putting my speakers on the stands might solve the problems I had with the speakers I listened to?

Maybe. Difficult to tell exactly what you are looking for. Not sure what "soft and flabby" means. Not a normal audio description.

And I should, a bit counterintuitively, be looking at low sensitivity speakers? Thanks. :)

No. Lower sensitivity just means the speakers won't be as loud with the same amplifier power.

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 11
Not sure if you can get them in Europe, but I'd try to find a pair of PSB Alpha B1's. I've always found the PSB house sound to be on the warm side of neutral with a relaxed quality. I heard the Alpha's about a year ago and thought they sounded quite good.

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 11

And I should, a bit counterintuitively, be looking at low sensitivity speakers?

Not to focus your search on these exclusively, but at minimum do not exclude them, which given the amp you do have, you might have been doing. Like I said if you prefer the speakers to be a bit lazy-sounding in the sense that if this was headphones you still think an HD600 sounds too much like an RS-1 in terms of how forward if not somewhat "frantic" the percussion is, it will depend partially on how your amp distorts. In which case, if it does distort towards sounding lazy, then pushing it to audible distortion will help. Note that this is not something one can judge by specs alone, but you have to go out and try the amp on the speakers.

As for speakers, have you tried Dali?

...together with not putting my speakers on the stands might solve the problems I had with the speakers I listened to?

I'm not sure why you're zeroing in on the stands, all they do is provide a proper platform for the speaker to operate on, and you're basically calling doing a good job a problem. That's like telling a Navy their ships need to have a design flaw otherwise they are not a real navy.

And besides, there are other factors to consider here apart from having a base that resists vibrations. If you've listened to speakers before that sounded like what you preferred and they weren't on stands...

1. The speakers might actually really sound that way, and it just so happened that as far as vibrations are concerned, whatever they were sitting on didn't have much of that kind of problem. 
2. Your preferred "soft and flabby" bass could be due to reflections, which are reduced by stands as these allow for positioning the speakers farther from the walls. Having the speakers on some kind of shelf attached to the wall enhances these reflections.
3. The distance between your seat and the speakers could be different as well. Try moving the chair further back, or move the stands closer to the wall and away from your seat. 

Maybe. Difficult to tell exactly what you are looking for. Not sure what "soft and flabby" means. Not a normal audio description.

Not in the headphone context since the lack of imaging depth means boost in the low end can more easily turn out getting called "boomy." Basically what he wants is mellow bass (double bass, not double pedals) to the point of slow, but a little bit loud, without sounding like it's popping out towards where the vocalist is.

Not that the alternate description isn't used in speaker forums, but what is more commonly used in the headphone context is "soft attack, loooooooong decay." He gave out context clues though regarding the opposite aspects that he did not like.
Now then, I don't know if it's the stands or amps (always had them put in direct) or what else, but I've found all speakers to have a tight, strong, rigid, energetic sound, especially in the low end. I'm looking for something mellow, soft, flabby and I'm not even sure how much I need to spend to get what I want, though I probably have to up the ante (was originally looking to spend within 400 euros). 

No. Lower sensitivity just means the speakers won't be as loud with the same amplifier power.

I suggested that to him in the sense that he use a relatively lower power tube amp and then push it further into audible distortion with a less efficient speaker. Assuming the kind of distortion that develops out of an amp is the kind he likes, then having that amp sweat on less efficient speakers will have the sound he wants. By contrast if the speakers are more sensitive then pushing the amp into audible distortion levels will mean the final sound output is much louder, which can mean neighbors complaining, and then there's how the brain and ears tend to hear a louder volume such that the percussion is louder/more audible.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 11
Splendor Classics would fit the bill.  The SP3/1 is a superb speaker that has a 6" woofer and is super easy to drive with a flat impedance.  Loves low power tube gear!  They come up used for around $700 and are a steal when they do!  Need good stands like Sound Anchor or the like to sound their very best.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 11
Lovely discussion you guys have created here. Thank you very much for your input. I ended up with the Diamond 220s. They work great with my hybrid amp, drums and bass sound soft like I want them too, not punchy at all. Yet they're articulate enough to let the instruments and vocals speak. They work great with everything, right now watching the French-Italian omnibus Spirits of the Dead (Jane Fonda, what a beaut!) and the soundtrack is very enjoyable, it's often ominous intent beautifully rendered, and the dialogue is very intelligible.

Excellent speakers for the money, and very good looking. I like how the grilles go over just the drivers, making their presence known, yet they're still protected from "the elements of nature".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back