Speakers have soundstage so um... they can't be like Grados
evil_smiley.gif
Do you mean tonal balance?

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 13
Dynaudio (tonality).

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I think it would be very hard to match the details of the Joe Grados in a speaker system.

ATC (without being bright) But of course with stuartr's qualifier of a quiet listening room. IF placed properly for true near-field listening with just the right amount of toe-in. Regarding placement, ATC monitors are not fussy but deciding upon personal perfection of placement is an ongoing art with daily general neurosis (audio & other) induced adjustments.
wink.gif

http://www.atc.gb.net/

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Speakers have soundstage so um... they can't be like Grados
evil_smiley.gif
Do you mean tonal balance?

Headphones do as well
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 13
I think my JMlabs have a sound that reminds me of grados. They are very quick, dynamic and have that bass slam that grados are known for. The JMlabs also are very smooth and neutral through the midrange and clear and open in the treble with a slight tendency towards brightness; although I have banished that brightness problem from my setup. They are also slightly forward giving you a closer perspective like grados, but not nearly to the same degree. When I used grados exclusively I never had a problem making the transition from one to the other because of their similarities.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
Dynaudio (tonality).

How close? Can you give an example of HP-1-like speakers (Dynaudio Model) and then and RS-1-like speakers?

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 13
The dynaudio's I owned were 1.3 MKIIs and they were cold, dry, and analytical with my Plinius 8200 MK II integrated (a pairing praised on audio asylum). I didn't feel they were near as neutral as Joe grados (I've owned HP-1s and SR200s) and certainly not as engaging. Dynaudios (at least the 1.3MK IIs) get a big thumbs down in my book!.

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Maybe these?

pipedreamsmodel9.jpg

Pipedreams, Model 9

The top shelf on the rack looks like it's going to come crashing down or the whole rack is going to walk over spider-like and sting someone. 1st time seeing cable elevators used (must be good for a 0.8 increase in fidelity
wink.gif
).

Apr 13, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #13 of 13
Zanth,

In terms of balance across the spectrum and attack balanced with decay, I think the Audeince Series are close to Papa Grado's sound. Detail resolution isn't what I'm thinking of here. I agree with Gopher that Dynaudio's house sound is dry, but what I think of the Audience 72 is somewhere between what I think of the SR-200 and HP-1. I prefer the Audience series to the old MK and Contour series.

RS series remind me of PSB Stratus Gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back