Speakers: Technics SB-2765, Advent Legacy II, or Sony SS-U580?
May 15, 2006 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cyrillic

100+ Head-Fier
Edit: I solved my own question... I found a Sansui 4000 and I'm pretty sure now that the Legacy II is the best pretty easily. Thanks though.

So I can choose between any of these speakers with a Technics Integrated Amplifier SU-V96. I doubt many if any people have experience with all these or even all these brands, but if you know something about Sony, Technics, or Legacy from these periods that'd help. My guess is that the Advent is best and then Technics and then Sony based on e-bay prices and everything else I could find on google. I can find a bit of info on the Advent's, and it's all positive, so it seems quite likely that they're the best, but there is little info on the other two (a negative sign, though I can't rule them out for sure).

Any guesses? I don't care much about reviews, but if you can say that one is good or one is bad that'd be awesome.

May 15, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm reading some good stuff about Legacy on this forum, too, so I guess that must be the one. But then my next question is: is my amplifier good enough for it? Now the answer from a head-fier must be "no, spend more money", but seriously, are they OK at all? If not, how much would a suitable match be? Nothing crazy here folks...

btw here's a picture of what they look like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14993

May 15, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 6
Looks like I just solved my own problem... I found a Sansui 4000 and it's well received here, so I can't believe the Technics one is better than the Sansui. I'll use the Sansui unless someone has evidence why I shouldn't.

May 15, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 6
I actually liked the sound of the Advents in the early 90’s. They were not the king of detail by any means, and didn’t seem to play extremely loud, but the midrange was just gorgeous for a speaker at its price range. They also sounded good with low-fi electronics. I don’t know for sure, but doesn’t the price in that E-bay listing sound a little high?

May 15, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 6
I thought these were older than the 90's. Mine are slightly different than that picture because they have a logo on them. Also the wood is nicer on mine. Not sure about the price though. I read somewhere that someone paid $380 for them sometime in the 80s. I only thought they were 70's or 80's because my step-dad mentioned they were fairly old to me once I think. I'll ask him when he gets home.

May 17, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 6
I think the Legacy II was introduced towards the late 80s or early 90s. The "II" series was to be the last decent speakers to carry the Advent name while the brand was still controlled by International Jensen. The Legacy II should be an excellent sounding speaker.

Just for your information, I still have a pair of Sony SS-U870 speakers from my first stereo system. These should pre-date the SS-U580 you mentioned. I purchased these back in 04/1987 and they have serve me and my family well. My sister even used these as PA speakers....no damage to them at all. No foam rot either. They are still being used in the family room everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back