Speakers specs question
Mar 29, 2010 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

genclaymore

Headphoneus Supremus
I was planing on getting Front speaker and a center and make my current my rear speakers. My receiver has 100watts per channel its a 5.1 receiver.

The ratings that be on speakers like if its 150watts , does that mean the receiver will only push up to 100 outta the speakers while the specs means the max the speakers can handle.

Because I saw some speakers that were 150watts rating I just wanna make sure i dont push my receiver too hard, or am i fine and just worrying over nothing.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ratings that be on speakers like if its 150watts , does that mean the receiver will only push up to 100 outta the speakers while the specs means the max the speakers can handle.

You have right general idea.

If you post the full specs of the speakers, someone might be able to make a more educated guess as to their suitability in your system. Be sure to include the nominal impedance of the speakers (in ohms) and sensitivity.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Cerwin Vega! VE-5C Center Channel Speaker

Frequency Response: 60 Hz - 20 kHz
Peak Power Handling: 150 watts
Sensitivity (1w/1m): 91 dB

BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers

2-way, tuned-vent bookshelf speakers with wide, 43 to 20,000 Hz frequency response for deep bass and extended treble
90 dB sensitivity; recommended for use with amplifiers pushing 10 to 150 watts per channel

These are the ones i been eyeing. Both are 8ohms

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 5
When matching a "front three" set of speakers, sensitivity is going to be one of the more significant factors. If your source/amp will let you adjust volume for individual speakers that can make it a lot easier to make sure that the CC is not too loud or quiet relative to your FR and FL.

Other than that the tonal characteristics are probably the most crucial. If you can get the same tweeter in each of the three then you should be OK. If not, then close will do for most of us.

I wouldn't worry much about power ratings since you probably won't be driving these speakers at volumes where it could be a factor.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 5
I agree with the last post....100 watts is alot louder than most people think. One thing to know is that a system playing at 15 watts can produce transient peaks of 75 watts or even more on a home theater setup....you know, big explosions and the such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back