speakers recommendation and specs comparison
Aug 19, 2002 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tina

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to purchase speakers for audio use. i've been researching around and i've found two candidates. i'm a newbie at this and i definitely don't know what these numbers mean so i think i'll paste this here and ask for your advices. these are the only specs i've found on them and they don't seem to be the same (example, the other has input sensitivity while the other has output rate. *scratches head). i've witheld the model names so that there'll be no biases. i'll post the names later if you're interested.

model A
Output Rate : 140W R.M.S
DRIVE UNIT : Woofer - 5.25"*1, Satellite - 3"(¹æÀÚÇü)*5
Output Resistance : 4§Ù
Frequency Feedback : 30Hz ~ 20kHz
Acoustic Ratio : > 85dB
Separability : > 42dB
High-Pitch Enhancement : ¡¾ 10dB
Low-Pitch Enhancement : ¡¾ 10dB
Woofer Enhancement : ¡¾10dB
Packing Dimension : W500 * H380 * D260mm
Signal Output : 3.5mm Stereo socket
Satlelite Loudspeaker Output : Using RCA connectors

model B
* Drivers (per satellite): Two 28mm full range, One 3-inch mid/bass
* Driver (subwoofer): One 6-inch full range
* Frequency Response: 45 Hz - 18kHz
* Satellite Power: 35 Watts (4 channels)
* Subwoofer Power: 45 Watts
* THD: <0.8% @ 1 Watt @ 1 kHz
* Input Impedance: >10K ohms
* Input Sensitivity: 300 mV for full output
* S/N Ratio: >65 dB
* Built-in Power supply included

Which one is better
confused.gif

Aug 19, 2002 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Specifications really mean very little in the world of High Fidelity. You should trust your ears above anything else, and leave the specification sheet alone unless you want to look at it purely out of interest.

What sort of speakers are you looking for?
What is your other equipment?
What is your budget?

Answer these questions, and the advice will come flooding in.

Aug 19, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Speaker specifications are really not very useful for predicting how a speaker will sound. Some numbers such as sensitivity and impedence will be necessary for mating them up with an appropriate amp but listening, hopefully in your own home, source material, and amplification is the best way to go. Good hunting.

Aug 22, 2002 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 5
thanks for the replies. yup, i heard from a friend of having purchased speakers beased on numbers alone and he wasn't really satisfied. i think the best way is for me to go to a store or sores and try em out myself with my favorite cd's. but i'm having second thoughts in doing these since i heard from you guys here that speakers will only show their best flavors after a specific amount of burn in. fyi, these are computer surround speakers also designed for dvd use. if some of you guys ever heard of em, i hope you could spill your comments. the first model is Ozaki em-96926. it's japanese. and i heard from a friend (non audiophile) that this brand is quite reliable. it has a sub and five sattelites. the second model is the Altec Lansing ATP5. one sub, four sattelites. i picked this one coz it's a choice awardee in soundcardcentral.com based on speakers below $200. i think some of you have this since this is easily availed in the u.s.. both of these speakers are almost of the same price here in korea. around $160. but if you've got more recommendations, i can spare maybe at around $300 if they are highly recomemnded. i will use them mainly for my cd's in my room away from the computer. thanks again.

Aug 23, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 5
Based on the numbers, choice B is a better system, but really, listening is the best way to decide. Be warned, the speaker that usually grabs your attention first may not be the one you will be happyest with, long term. A "flashy" sounding speaker will get irritating after awhile. Smooth and with good definition, is usually the best choice. Take music you are really famillier with and listen for at least an entire song. The longer the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back