Speakers next to amp causing balance problem ?
Jul 5, 2007 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mrk

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I have recently moved from a Rotel RA-02 to a NAD C 320BEE for a little extra power and whilst I am pleased with the results and differences I still have a small issue where the balance is biased towards the right side than the left.

The only thing I can attribute to causing this is possibly the fact that my Tannoy M3 right speaker is standing next to the amp - would this cause problems with balance at all?

I cannot find any info on whether the M3 are shielded or not :S

Cheers!

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 11
No.

It sounds as if the NAD has a mistracking volume control.

Take it back for exchange,

N.A.D. Not Always Defective

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 11
I am not too sure though, the same issue occured on the Rotel as well and the same adjustment (at the same level) needed to be done!

Is there not any way I can measure the amount of sound being output to each channel? say for example using a sine wave and measuring using a volt meter or something?

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 11
Or maybe I am just hearing things?

I just asked my sister to plant my headphones on and have a listen to a video file where there is ambient sounds as well as centre staged voices, to me the voices are slightly right biased with the balance set to 0 but to her they sounded normal as in all voices were in the middle.

Hmm!

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Sounds like a hearing problem. Think doctor, for a hearing test.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 11
It's really strange, I can pick out minute details in music and video audio and hear the smallest of sounds from my surroundings but this balance issue just niggles me sometimes!

Edit*

After playing some HD trailers through the speakers it now appears that the issue may just be with my headphones, I have dropped them numerous times in the past onto my laminate flooring so it could have affected the balance on them and since I've had them for years the difference in balance is obvious to me but not my sister as she's never used them before.

The plot thickens!

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 11
You didn't ask for potential troubleshooting techniques.

You can use a test disk. Set the level and then measure across the speaker leads (While hooked up)(AC Voltage).

You could also swap the speakers. If the same side is the one that is quieter it is either the amp or your Hearing. Many people (Me) have one ear that is less sensitive than the other.

If one cable is MUCH longer (3' / 30') a slight difference might be noticed, but the closer one would then be louder.

Now you bring headphones into it??? If the imbalance is in both it is either the amp, or YOUR HEARING.

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 11
Well in between the creation of this thread and now I have done some further testing with headphone and with speakers and posted my findings, not quite sure what is wrong with that :/

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing I can attribute to causing this is possibly the fact that my Tannoy M3 right speaker is standing next to the amp - would this cause problems with balance at all?

Shouldn't this be quite easy to test? Just move the amp a feet or two away from the speaker.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well in between the creation of this thread and now I have done some further testing with headphone and with speakers and posted my findings, not quite sure what is wrong with that :/

Defensive much
blink.gif

Did I say that something was wrong with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back