Speakers/monitors that sound same as Sennheiser HD650
May 10, 2007 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jonta_dj

100+ Head-Fier
I wonder if there are any speakers that have the same detailed, smooth, good to your ears sound as the Sennheiser HD650.

I currently have Linn Katan speakers and Linn Sizmik 10.25 subwoofer (has it's own amplifier) that are driven by an Arcam A65 amplifier (I know that the amplifier is not very good but unfortunately I already bought it and can't return it). Many times the sound from the speakers hurt my ears, I don't really want to listen for long periods to them. But I can listen to the same music without that harsh (like in high pitched sound) through my head phones for hours. There's newer a problem with harsh sound from the head phones.

Has anyone got experience in this? Before my current speakers I tried a pair of speakers called Monitor Audio (don't remeber the model, maybe Bronze?) and they were really really harsh. I returned them after about two days.

I have paid about $US 3700 for this current combo (speakers, sub, amplifier), and no, I'm not satisfied. My poor ears...

May 10, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 30
Some other brands of British monitors and monitor-like speakers you might want to consider would be ATC and PMC (both venerable 'pro-studio' monitor companies that have expanded into home audio -- both very fine but very expensive). At the mid-level, you could audition speakers from (Harbeth - mentioned,) Spendor, Tannoy, Stirling and B&W. Two other options are the Anglo-French Focal JM Labs brand and French JM Reynaud brand. For amazing value -- especially in used speakers in Europe -- have a look at the smaller but established brands Castle and Ruark.

I used a pair of Ruark Talisman 1 floorstanders for two years in Dublin. While they were not 100% accurate, being slightly forward and light in the mid- and bottom-bass, they were incredibly engaging and detailed.

I've heard affectionate but mixed things about classic Rogers speakers (which I recently considered purchasing) -- they possess the famous BBC nearfield monitor sound but may lack detail, bass, cannot be played too loudly (possess uncertain resources for parts-repair and service). . . . I have not yet listened to the very popular and feted models by Harbeth and Spendor (perennial favourites of HiFi News & Stereophile), nor the more analytical ATC and PMCs. I haven't heard the expensive B&Ws (though I had a good experience in the 80s with their little two-ways).

But I've had very good experiences with the Castles and Ruarks -- for their respective prices (great speakers to be had at or under 400. Euros/pair). "Detailed, smooth [and] good to your ears sound" could be used for different models of all the above brands, but my old Ruark Talismans had it in spades. Eb@y.co.uk is a good source for used if you can convince owners to box and ship to Continental EU.

May 10, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 30
i like my alesis M1 mk2's they have a rather warm sound to them, but they dont extend very high in frequency though, wich is an easy fix with some standalone powered tweeters. a pair of these speakers is $200

May 10, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 30
My B&W CM1 bookshelf speakers sound very much like the HD650's I used to have. Very warm, nice punchy mid bass, smooth and detailed highs.

May 10, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 30
This question is kind of like asking if there are any chocolate cakes that taste as good as a T Bone steak. Speakers sound like speakers. The way to find the ones you like is to audition them.

See ya
Steve

May 10, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 30
It's been awhile since I heard them but I seem to recall the Polk LSi9 sounding somewhat smooth and dark like the HD650, but like bigshot said, this really is apples and oranges. There aren't any speakers that "sound" like headphones -- they may have a similar signature but that's about it.

May 10, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 30
Thank you for all answers!

I'm also member of another forum, a Linn forum, have you heared about Linn stuff? Well, everyone there says that it's my source that is bad and Linn speakers need good sources to sound good. Well, I have this lynx soundcard and I like it togther with my head phones. I starting to think that Linn is just a piece of **** and I've paid too much for it already.

I suppose it's not easy to name a speaker that sound the same as the headphones. I liked this "chocolate cakes that taste as good as a T Bone steak", funny
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There aren't any speakers that "sound" like headphones -- they may have a similar signature but that's about it.

I always assume that when somebody asks this question, it's always JUST about sound signature.

Headphones will never sound like (or in my mind, as good as) speakers. But it is definitely possible to buy a headphone that has the same family signature, or overall flavour.

May 10, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 30
There are phrases like "sound signature" and "soundstage" that are often used in this forum as buzzwords. In the way that they are usually used, they have very little meaning.

The way to find good speakers requires a little legwork, and you can't do it online.

1) Take your favorite good sounding CDs to a stereo store
2) Chase the salesman away and pull out a yellow pad
3) Play the first CD on every speaker in the store, regardless of price and write down notes on how they sound
4) Repeat the process with all of your CDs
5) Figure out which speakers sounded the best with the largest number of CDs
6) Now look at the prices and see what the bargain is
7) Buy the speakers and take them home and set them up, paying attention to room acoustics
8) Get a good prograde equalizer and balance the response
9) Play an awful lot of music

See ya
Steve

May 11, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonta_dj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have Linn Katan speakers and Linn Sizmik 10.25 subwoofer (has it's own amplifier) that are driven by an Arcam A65 amplifier (I know that the amplifier is not very good but unfortunately I already bought it and can't return it). Many times the sound from the speakers hurt my ears, I don't really want to listen for long periods to them. But I can listen to the same music without that harsh (like in high pitched sound)

There could be so many variable things causing this problem, and your speakers are probably not even in the top 3 running.

Having said that, I have always hated the small monitor + subwoofer sound. If anything, I would rather run the monitors by itself.

Linn makes some great speakers, which I think are the most underrated in their product lineup. You may want to check out some older Linn floorstanding speakers such as Linn Keilidh, which can be found cheap and sound great. Some pic's here: http://www.store-multimedia.de/hifi/2i.htm

I do think throwing in a nice tube preamp or amp in your setup will do the trick, though.

May 11, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 30
well, I just hooked up my B&W 601's to a reciever running an optical out from my AV710. it sounds amazing! I would highly recommend it if you got the budget.
(they are just sitting on my desk too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back