Speakers integrated amplifier to headphones amplifier conversion
Oct 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sahara

100+ Head-Fier
Although it's a reference integrated amplifier and an awesome sale price, Im having problems to selll my Octave V40SE...
If I could not sell it I was thinking about the possibility of transforming it into headphones amplifier for dynamics, planars etc -nobody knows that will happen in the future-  taking adventage of it's potential

I'd rather have an exceptional amplifier for headphones that give the amplifier at so low price but I dont know about technical issues then I would like to ask about that modification.

Are there many difficulties to make it?
Do you think it's a good idea?

Thank you

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Although it's a reference integrated amplifier and an awesome sale price, Im having problems to selll my Octave V40SE...
If I could not sell it I was thinking about the possibility of transforming it into headphones amplifier for dynamics, planars etc -nobody knows that will happen in the future-  taking adventage of it's potential

I'd rather have an exceptional amplifier for headphones that give the amplifier at so low price but I dont know about technical issues then I would like to ask about that modification.

Are there many difficulties to make it?
Do you think it's a good idea?

Thank you

It can be done. I've done it with my SS Classe integrated amp with very good results using this guide:
http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/faqs.htm#amp
However, I'm not sure about a tube amp like your Octave. Another DIY link to look at: http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm

You could also consider something like a $575.00 2 way Bryston switch box with a headphone output:
http://bryston.com/products/other/2way.html. If you don't intend on using speakers with the amp, you could hook up a couple of 8 ohm/10 watt resistors to the speaker terminals for a load to the left/right channels and then plug you headphones into the headphone jack. I imagine Audeze LCD-2/3 or HiFi Man HE-500 or HE-6 planar magnetic headphones would sound pretty darn good.

I know others on the forum, with far more knowledge about these things than I have, can provide additional info.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 3
Thank you very much for your reply and links, Rizlaw.
I am considering this alternative because I don't want to undersell the amplifier - as the current trade/selling offert that I've proposed- and I'd prefer to turn it into a headphone amplifier and maybe sell my WA 2.

The Octave delivery 40W 4/8 Ohm and perhaps with that capacity can be a good headphone  amplifier capable to driving differents types of headphones. If this option provides good results maybe I can do it.

If it is a reference speaker amplifier also can be reference headphone amp....
blink.gif

I've thought about to cancel the speakers outputs and use that situation to place balanced outputs  as Malvalve Head Three where the headphones are connected at the rear side.

Thank you again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back