Speakers in the $1300-1700 range
Jan 7, 2008 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

dallasstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I have some simple bookshelf speakers right now, but I was hoping to buy something better to lay the foundation for my new home theater setup. I honestly don't even know where to begin figuring out which speaker is best in this range. Right now, the only speakers I have considered are the B&W 683, the PSB Image T65 Tower and the Axiom Audio M80. I honestly have no idea how they compare with each other.

Are there any other speakers in this price range that deserve a look? Any suggestions on which of these speakers is best or on another speaker that deserves a look would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 24
The B&W600 series Home Cinema set up is a really knock out. I am amazed how much low end I get from those 6" drivers. And you can start the set up with the bookshelf B&W601, moving on to the 603 floor standers. I looked at the Wharfedale EVO 30 set up as well, but the B&W had my vote for CD, DVD, and DVB-T audio.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 24
Best advice: find a shop that sells a smattering of gear, including some very high end stuff beyond your budget. Spend a few hours listening to your favorite music on their various gear. Narrow down your preferences (blindly, if possible). Then work out a budget. Good rule of thumb is that you should spend AT LEAST as much, probably 2X on your electronics (amp, source, etc) as on your loudspeakers.

Just as with music, there is a lot of high production quality stuff, but nobody can tell you what your taste will favor. There are many quality speaker manufacturers out there. I've enjoyed speakers from: Dynaudio (probably above your budget), Focal (maybe above your budget), Paradigm, PSB and NHT. I've found B&W to produce speakers that are very inoffensive--decent at everything, great at nothing. A few direct marketed brands seem to be highly regarded, but I've not heard them (Axiom, AV123.com's Rocket brand, etc).

Be careful, audio salespeople are very adept at honing in on the top end of your budget and getting you to stretch it
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 24
I also recommend visiting a stereo shop that has some speakers for you to compare. Much like headphones, everybody has their own ideas about what speakers should sound like, so just reading about them on the internet or in magazines won't necessarily enable you to select the best speakers for your ears.

By the way, my personal favorites in your price range are from Dynaudio and Totem Acoustics.

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha! That review starts out with "I am biased in favor of Paradigm loudspeakers." Gee, I wonder if he's going to like them?
biggrin.gif

Well, being Canadian I am biased towards them too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously, Paradigm makes some really good bang-for-buck speakers. I don't own Paradigm now but have owned two sets of their speakers in the past and they were good.

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 24
Quad L / L2 Series dynamic loudspeakers perform well on both music and movies, so I'd consider adding these to your audition list. You can always start by purchasing a pair, and then adding more down the track when funds allow. You'll find there are plenty around, so you can pick them up secondhand too if you want to save a few bucks. There's also the L-ite Series which are aimed at the budget conscious buyer I guess. I haven't heard these tho.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 24
there are a whole bunch of good speakers out there, i suggest you find a dealer that has a variety and check them out. when i was looking for some nice bookshelves, i had the following in mind:
dynaudio contour 1.3se
silverline sr-17
totem model 1 signature
merlin tsm
proac 1sc
reference 3a mm de capo-i
tyler acoustics taylo reference

i prefer bookshelves over floorstanders as they are more coherent and intimate.

i almost got the merlin speakers but ended up with UK ones from ATC (the scm7). they are incredible sounding to me which makes me want to listen to other english brands like linn and naim. i'd also like to try out some single driver full range speakers.

find something that interests you and ask about it over at audioasylum, those people are nuts and have tried almost everything.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, being Canadian I am biased towards them too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously, Paradigm makes some really good bang-for-buck speakers. I don't own Paradigm now but have owned two sets of their speakers in the past and they were good.

Yes, especially those 60's. I demo'ed them in a two channel set-up, but they would probably be very suited for multi-channel as well.

That being said, I would also add Energy as a consideration for a budget multi-channel system.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quad L / L2 Series dynamic loudspeakers perform well on both music and movies

This gets a ditto from me, i'm a Quad fanboy though
wink.gif

I KNOW there's someone on Headfi who has a pair of 21Ls, maybe they'll give you some impressions. Can't remember who though...
eek.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good rule of thumb is that you should spend AT LEAST as much, probably 2X on your electronics (amp, source, etc) as on your loudspeakers.

Just want to point out that I (and probably a lot of others) think that this is bullocks. The point of diminishing returns on sources and amps is well, well below that of speakers.

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys. I have some simple bookshelf speakers right now, but I was hoping to buy something better to lay the foundation for my new home theater setup. I honestly don't even know where to begin figuring out which speaker is best in this range. Right now, the only speakers I have considered are the B&W 683, the PSB Image T65 Tower and the Axiom Audio M80. I honestly have no idea how they compare with each other.

Are there any other speakers in this price range that deserve a look? Any suggestions on which of these speakers is best or on another speaker that deserves a look would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

What are the bookshelf speakers and do you plan on selling them when you upgrade? Sorry, I just can't keep from looking out for good deals on Head-Fi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to point out that I (and probably a lot of others) think that this is bullocks. The point of diminishing returns on sources and amps is well, well below that of speakers.

For music a good amp and source should NOT be taken for granted. Though for HT even a cheap Panasonic receiver will do wonders.

Edit: I use to have some Energy C3 bookshelves that I replaced with Paradigm Studio 20s. The Energy speakers sounded a bit boxy. I would buy Paradigms again but not Energy.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #15 of 24
I wasn't too impressed with the PSB t55's.

I'd also consider a pair of rockets from av123. The Strata Mini would also be a great choice. Both have been very positively reviewed. The rocket 760's just got a great review in affordable audio.
I'm very happy with my reference speakers from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back