Speakers in front of a big window???
Dec 8, 2004 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kryogen

100+ Head-Fier
My comp desk is right in front of a big window. 6X5.
Both speakers have the bass exits behind, and in front of the window.

Is this really bad for the sound, or not so bad?
What if I close the curtains? (I don't know the word for plastic vertical curtains, you know what I mean.)

Will this help?

Thanks

And um, what's that "phase" thing?

I just need to plug the red wire to the red post, and speakers won,t be out of phase right? That's just if I plug them wrong, right?

Dec 8, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 6
It is not the bass you need to worry about but the high-mid and treble.
Any "hard" surface near the tweeters will be a point early refelctions and will reinforce the treble which in the end creates a "hard" or overly bright sound in many cases unless steps are taken.

anything you can do to break up and/or absorb the treble will help here ; even a stack of old books or magazines behind the speakers wil do some good,throw in a "teddy bear" or stuffed animal of choice and you got it whipped
icon10.gif

(the last was only a semi-joke,really would help with absorption at treble frequencies)

Dec 9, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 6
window open or window closed ?

window open would be like playing the speakers on a stand if in a normal position,that is no extra reinforcement of the bass frequencies from the floor/wall/speaker but window closed and it would seem as a wall to the speaker and add rear reinforcement like moving a speaker closer to the wall.
no,it is the high freequency reflections that could be problematic because while a wall is also a hard flat surface it is not glassy smooth and any little thing that breaks up the reflections is only a good thing even if that is only a painted surface.
a window being glass is 100% reflective so the curtains would help but if open then something to absorb and diffuse the treble would be a good idea.

We are not discussing a full range system on a desk but a mini-monitor based system and the bass frequencies are not low enough to worry about "suck out" of the low notes but mid-hi applies to any loudspeaker no matter the size

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Kroygen, depending on what computer speakers you have, and your listening habits, I honestly don't think you have to worry about your windows. Just enjoy the view. But if you're really worried, why don't you close the curtains and see if you hear a difference. If that didn't do anything and you're still worried, try putting some big fluffy pillows in front of the windows or hang a rug or quilt to cover the windows. If you don't hear an improvement, then the window isn't something to worry about.

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm with Rick. Whether you can hear it or not is a different issue, but heavy curtains would be the natural solution. The other solution that I saw in a room with moderate absorption is to cause the opposing surface to diffract the reflections, but I don't think you'll have to worry about that scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back