Speakers hum hiss noise + magni 2 uber
May 18, 2015 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

izuz

New Head-Fier
**novice here**

I have a gaming PC setup and  recently added a bunch of audio equipment. I have an issue where I hear a hum/hiss noise when I move my mouse around, and while gaming too. Details: my my motherboard is ASUS z97-a, and I just use the on-board Realtek chip. I have magni 2 uber connected to the 3.5mm jack in the back with a 3.5mm to rca cable. I have AKG 712 + JLB 305 speakers connected to my amp (JLB  connected with this cable). All my setup is connected to 1 grounded surge protector.

I know this noise is not coming from inside the PC. Before I bought my amp, I had the speakers and headphones connected to the PC and never had this problem. I tried many tests where I disconnected 1 component at a time to try to isolate where the noise is coming from, bottom line is it only happens when my speakers are powered on and connected to the amp. when I disconnect them from the amp, the noise is gone from my headphones.

After a lot of research, it seems that this is the case of a ground loop (? maybe), or possibly because I have unbalanced outputs from the magni connected to balanced inputs of the speakers. So I'm turning to you audio gurus to help me get rid of this. I've looked at direct boxes/hum eliminators/balance transformers. I don't want to invest in anything unless it is will fix this issue.

All help is appreciated.
Thanks,

May 19, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Holly crap, before reading your second post, I went ahead and got a cheap power strip I had around the house, plugged just my speakers in it and plugged it into a power outlet next to the rest of my system.... the hum is gone 100%. LOL.
Thank you good sir, even though I missunderstood you in the first place :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back