Speakers For University - Any Suggestions?
Aug 23, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 23
If you are going to live in a large residence, you'd be surprised how much time you can spend in your room. Especially when your floormates are stopping by to visit or watch movies. I got a Logitech Z-5300 THX system for my dorm room, which cost me about $200 CAD shipped (or around 100 GBP). They really made the year worthwhile. It's an awful lot of power for a small room, especially with the 100W RMS sub, but it made movies great. Just put one on, turn up the volume, open your door, and people will come by to watch it with you. Though, now that I've moved into an appartment, I've had to turn down the sub, but the speakers are still great.

Aug 23, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by marx84
If you are going to live in a large residence, you'd be surprised how much time you can spend in your room. Especially when your floormates are stopping by to visit or watch movies. I got a Logitech Z-5300 THX system for my dorm room, which cost me about $200 CAD shipped (or around 100 GBP). They really made the year worthwhile. It's an awful lot of power for a small room, especially with the 100W RMS sub, but it made movies great. Just put one on, turn up the volume, open your door, and people will come by to watch it with you. Though, now that I've moved into an appartment, I've had to turn down the sub, but the speakers are still great.

yeah really, I'm in a suite (common area with two rooms 2 mates per) and we've got lots of crap

old sylvania stereo, 2 couches, 3 minifridges, toaster oven, microwave, 27" tv...and that's just out there, not counting my stereo or computers or anything, it's insane haha.

Aug 31, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #18 of 23
Well, I ordered the aego2s for £100.39 (that includes the £4.99 postage), off the only website I could find that was still doing them in black (they were a fiver cheaper on a diff website for white but i wanted black). They should arrive within the next week so I'll let you know how I get on with them. Thanks for everyone's help.

Rob

Sep 1, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarmarama
Well, I ordered the aego2s for £100.39 (that includes the £4.99 postage), off the only website I could find that was still doing them in black (they were a fiver cheaper on a diff website for white but i wanted black).

You outdid me in web searching.... I thought black aego2's were
"obsolete"
wink.gif
. The aego2 has, to these ears, one of the coolest
sound signatures in existence anywhere, and I would think
it sounds even cooler in black
cool.gif

Fang-Lin

(now listening: JS Bach cello suites arr. for the theorbo.
Pascal Monteihet, performer)

Sep 10, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Potatoe1313
Well, if you want some cheap speakers that can pack a punch, you could always try some Logitech Z-640's. They may not be the best speakers around, but they lasted all last year in a dorm room and I'm still using them now. You can really annoy the neighbors with these.
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://store.yahoo.com/maincomp/alla4141spsy.html

I have a pair of Z640s that I bought a few years ago. I had Mission M73s in my bedroom, but I moved and don't really have room for the Missions in the new room. I am using the Z640s until I can order some new speakers and I have to say I am really disappointed by the Logitechs. They go plenty loud and have lots of booming bass, but thats about it. The high end is extremely rolled off, the mids lack any form of intimacy and the bass is just the one note type. I guess they are ok for the money, but there is much better around. Going from any of my headphones to the z640s is almost painful.

I think I will be ordering a set of Swans M200s for my bedroom next.

Sep 10, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I have a pair of Z640s that I bought a few years ago. I had Mission M73s in my bedroom, but I moved and don't really have room for the Missions in the new room. I am using the Z640s until I can order some new speakers and I have to say I am really disappointed by the Logitechs. They go plenty loud and have lots of booming bass, but thats about it. The high end is extremely rolled off, the mids lack any form of intimacy and the bass is just the one note type. I guess they are ok for the money, but there is much better around. Going from any of my headphones to the z640s is almost painful.

I think I will be ordering a set of Swans M200s for my bedroom next.

Yeah, I would put them about on par with a cheap car stereo system (the kind the car comes with). So it may actually be a better idea to double the price to be spent and get some real speakers (which I would love to do, but can't afford).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back