Speakers For University - Any Suggestions?
Aug 19, 2005 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Guitarmarama

Head-Fier
Hi guys. I am currently looking for a decent set of speakers to put in my room when I go to university. I'm looking for a set of two speakers to put on my desk (possibly with a subwoofer), which are relatively compact (due to room size) yet pack a punch (nice full, fairly loud but not deafening sound - again due to size of room and being in shared accommodation); take note that although I listen to a wide variety of styles (Anything from cheesy pop to metal to RnB to classical guitar music to american pop-rock), I generally listen to rock music in most forms.

I'm looking to spend around £30-£40 ($50-$70), but taking into account that generally things are more expensive here in the UK, maybe a player which retails for about $40-$60 is more realistic from a USA point of view. I am however prepared to stretch to about £50 ($80) if it means getting something which really is good value for money.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Rob

Aug 19, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 23
If you use the search function you will find several threads that cover this question. Basically, I would HIGHLY recomend that you just wait and save up some money then get something that's around double your budget at very least. There was a thread a few days back about a pair of speakers on clearance (Axioms I think?
confused.gif
) for $99, but I'd really not spend less than $199/pr if sound quality is of any importance to you. If not, then go buy a crap pair of whatever is available at BB or CC.

Some brands to look at the low ends of their lines:
1. Monitor Audio - Their Bronze line is actually quite nice for budget audiophile speakers and they, like all Monitor Audio's have really nice tight bass & like to rock.

2. AV123.com - Has some nice stuff that sounds good. I have their LHT set and they sound fine for home theatre. I'm sure as you move up the line they get even better. And you buy them direct so they tend to be cheaper.

3. B&W - Their 600 series sounds nice. You'll probably need to buy used to get the price down.

4. Totem Acoustic - Has nice small speakers. Also will need to buy used.

You might also look into studio monitors from Event & several other companies. You'll need a preamp with these if you buy powered (active) ones, but they sound really nice in nearfield. You can find many of them at Sweetwater.

Again, I cannot stress the budget enough. I see too many people buy crap speakers when they don't have to. Nice sounding speakers dont have to cost as much as a car, but you get what you pay for... and if you're posting here I'd HOPE sound quality is at least passing interest.

Aug 19, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 23
I have a friend who highly recommends the Totems, but he spent more than what you're willing to pay. So you'll have to look long and hard used. G'luck!

Aug 19, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 23
Definitely go for AEGO2 especially if you are in UK. At 79 pounds before VAT, it is not that much above your budget level I should think, since the amplifier is built-in and oh, the satellites are so solid and small.
etysmile.gif
But then maybe you simply want something more plain looking so reckless ppl won't be tempted...
very_evil_smiley.gif

atkaip.jpg

[size=xx-small]ps. clickonit may have some left if this thing is becoming "obsolete" elsewhere
rolleyes.gif
[/size]

Aug 20, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 23
Boston Acoustics CR65 or 67. I use the 65s for my surrounds and they are very nice. I did a shoot out at the local Goodguys, and they beat out klipschs, bose, energy, infinity, and whatever other bookshelfs they had (can't remember now what they all were).

DigiPete

Aug 20, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 23
Hi again. I've been looking around a little bit and all of those seem to be out of my price range (couldn't find the aego2 anywhere online).

Does anyone know what the Wharfedale Diamond speakers are like, either the 8 series or the 9.0; 9.1 is slightly outta my price range.

Also looking at the Yamaha NS-F101 and NS-CF101... What do centre speakers do? Do you have to buy two of them or just one, and what are their advantages?

Aug 20, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarmarama
(couldn't find the aego2 anywhere online).

Have you tried clickonit.com as I suggested in the earlier post?
aego2
They seem to have a few in stock....

Aug 20, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 23
Aha... Thank you... I didn't see the website because it was under the picture. Thanks a lot for that. Will look into it, it's more in my price range definitely.

EDIT: Those aego2 speakers look like exactly what I need, but seeing as clickonit is the only place I can find them, I'm going to look at what else is around first. Although the reviews I have read are excellent, so I will keep on looking now and make a decision in a week or so, but the aego2 is definitely top of my list.

Aug 21, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

but seeing as clickonit is the only place I can find them

Sorry to contradict again, but that's not quite true...
With some search, I found other places that seem to
have aego2 in stock, such as:

day3
mycomputerbits

If any of them has a good return policy, it may not be so bad
as to try one first. But, sure, it would be even better if
you can successfully locate one at local stores. My feeling is
that computer supplies outfits, rather than hifi "boutiques,"
more tend to have these still. Of course it's just my hunch
biggrin.gif

Good luck!

Aug 21, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 23
Depending on your price range I would go for

Axiom Audio M3ti $280
Infinity Primus 150 $170 new $100 used

I have the infinities, and I'm bringing those to the dorms next week. I've heard the axioms though and those are definitely a great deal.

Aug 21, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 23
PSB Alpha series
Paradigm Titan or Atoms

Any of the above can be found for around $100 used, and in my opinion would be the best route to go. Just keep your eye out on ebay or audiogon.com. Manufacters such as Totem will be well beyond your budget (we are talking like $400-500 used here), and a little impractical for dorm use. If you look closely enough on the used market you should be able to find something pretty decent for under $150. What do you intend to drive these speakers with?

Aug 21, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

I'm thinking of one with a built-in amplifier (such as is the case with the aego2), but I'd have to buy an amplifier if I was getting individual speakers.

With separate components you can do more upgrading in the future.
With integrated systems such as aego2, I assume most upgrades will
be limited to either cabling (although the ae stock ones are good) or
to music collection (not a bad idea). More boxes= more flexibilities=
more connecting cables= more clutter on, around or under the desk=
more hassle
biggrin.gif
Do you intend to use the speakers with a computer?

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 23
It depends. If I can hook them up to my mp3 player then I'd do that more than hook it up to a pc (I have a creative labs zen xtra 30gb). I'm sort of an in-between audiophile I guess. I don't want to have the best gear all the time, but I don't want the cheap stuff either. The aego2 looks the best for what I want so far, but I'm not making a definite decision for about 10 days or so, so I'm still open to choices. I'm slightly worried about not being able to try them out, but I got my Shure e3c earphones for £80 off ebay and I was very happy with them, so no reason why I should have to try these out. Another reason I wouldn't want to spend more than £100 is that I wouldn't be in my room a lot (being at university and all), and also wouldn't be using them very late at night, as well as using them for half the year (while I'm at home I have my dad's two massive 1970s Mordaunt Short speakers which are really good quality anyway.

Aug 22, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Another reason I wouldn't want to spend more than £100 is that I wouldn't be in my room a lot (being at university and all), and also wouldn't be using them very late at night, as well as using them for half the year (while I'm at home I have my dad's two massive 1970s Mordaunt Short speakers which are really good quality anyway.

With regard to the above, I think I will just say that, if you are like me and if you also decide to get aego2, chances are that you will end up wanting to use it a lot more than on late evenings, and certainly not only for half the year
580smile.gif

While you are still taking in other opinions, why not take a look at the aego2 user's manual, even if only to make sure that you like its ways of connecting to things: aego2 manual (pdf)

Again, good luck with your quest!

ps. I am also some kind of an in-between audiophile I guess: philips cd, arcam amplifier and castle isis monitors with a mordaunt-short subwoofer for music in the living room, ipod, panasonic portable cd and aego at the desk.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back