speakers for university accomodation (what will i need?)
May 16, 2007 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SCOTTBALL

Head-Fier
ok i posted a while ago, but i've kinda changed what im after now

right, im after loud speakers, with good, defined bass. I listen to a lot of electronica, i.e dance, hardcore, drum&bass. so it would be good for these to be turned up loud without fear of distortion. (don't worry, i'm not one of those ppl that just blast music with no regard to other people around
wink.gif
but i would like to be able to try this when i take the speakers back to my house =D )

At the moment on my PC at home I have some creative 5.1 speakers.. about 5w or 6w per sattelite, and 25w subwoofer. But these dont seem to be enough at all, and sometimes find myself at max volume, and the music/bass gets kinda distorted.

So im thinking i would need something kinda like good, powerful hi-fi speakers? My friend uses his hi fi and connects them to his computer using a cable like this
https://www.krcs.co.uk/images/librar...indy_35492.jpg
(3.5mm jack on one side, and 2 AV ones (red and white) on the other side)

Thats what i'm planning to do (unless theres a better alternative) and also this way i can connect it to my TV (into the headphone socket)

so really, all i'm asking is if this would be ok, and what kind of speakers would you reccomend? What wattage output and stuff.. I'm pretty sure i won't need a seperate sub because there are good speakers out there that deliver great bass right?

thanks!

May 16, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 14
Your best bet is actually picking up a set of used speakers. Big, loud "party-style" speakers with big woofers went out of style in the late 1990s, with the popularity of subwoofers and a greater emphasis on WAF. There are a lot of good deals to be had in the used market. Look around locally in pawn shops and places like that.

If you're into DIY or willing to consider it, these are perfect for you:
http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...gna/index.html

May 16, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 14
yeahhhh those look really good! i would love those but i dunno.. i'm ok with DIY but i doubt i know enough about speakers and DIY to create some myself!
If what you say is true then i guess i'll have to browse eBay and stuff i guess..
thanks for the advice!
any other tips/suggestions would be cool as well =)

ALSO, my friend said if i just want speakers, i will need an amp.. or should i try and get speakers that come with an amp?

May 17, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnDiggity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you could go Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s if you can find them. I had the original 4.1 set and it was AWESOME during college.

I've owned a set of the promedia 4.1's in the past (owned for about 2 years, lost them in a house fire 3 years ago) and they were absolutely AMAZING.

Unfortunately it seems that they had a big issue as far as reliability goes (i've visited the klipsch forums and a lot of people have owned 2 sets of them, in some cases even 3, while many of the owners had them sent in to be fixed, got them back, had the amp blow, send them back....get them back and have the amp blow again) so I wouldn't quite dish out the cash for the 5.1 due to the problems they've been having. I think SOME people have had problems with their 4.1's, although I never did (though i only owned them for a couple of years before they were destroyed).

since i've been back in the market for about the past year now to get another speaker system, I look a good look at the logitech z5500 5.1 speakers and have read many many hours worth of reviews, was extremely close to buying them, but now have decided against it since people that have owned the klipsch promedia's and have heard the logitech speakers don't quite like them much and find them too 'boomy' due to the sub overpowering the satellites.

I'd rather go with the sound quality of the klipsch 2.1. Hell eventually later on I'll even buy an extra pair to make it a 4.2 system.

I've heard the logitech z5500 myself, although they were directly connected to someone's dvd player, I wasnt too impressed.

May 17, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 14
hmmm yeah, ive had 2.1 and 5.1 systems in the past, but i think right now i will probably be going for amp + 2 floor standing speakers (or simillar)

but will any amp do? or does it alter the sound quality/clarity depending on how good/powerful it is? How powerful should i be looking at?

in terms of speakers, my friend has some B&W DM603's which sound pretty good
i was also looking at the sony SS-X90ED's
hmmm..

my other friend also suggested some high powered kareoke type speakers, cos he said although the other ones are really crisp they wont deliver as much power or deep bass....

May 17, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a used amp/receiver on craiglist, local pawnshop, etc.

then get some speakers!

+1. You might try searching for some great vintage receivers/integrated amps and get a really great set of speakers for the same price you'd pay for some of these newer speaker sets from Klipsch and Logitech.

May 18, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the logitech z5500 myself, although they were directly connected to someone's dvd player, I wasnt too impressed.

Yeah I had a friend with them and they were terrible.

May 18, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 14
The key always comes down to money. What do you want to spend for the speakers (and probably a receiver or integrated amp of some kind)?
That determines what any of us can recommend to you.

May 18, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #14 of 14
i guess i am willing to spend a lot if it is high quality and will last me.. forever..
but in general maybe a few hundred, less that £150 hopefully for something loud and decent. but will to pay extra for something amazing? am i looking at a good price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back