Speakers for under 500$
Aug 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #16 of 22
I would recommend getting the Denon 1612 over the 1312 since it's $229 right now. The 1612 comes with Audyssey MultiEQ room correction that is really worth having if you ever add a sub or decide to use the receiver for an HT setup.

Given your budget, do you have room for towers or only bookshelves? The Energy V6.2s are a great bargain right now from Vanns. Advantage of towers is that the multiple towers will give you a fuller sound with better low end response.  Another speaker this is not a tower but has dual drivers for a fuller sound is the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE MINI-TOWER.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:
I would recommend getting the Denon 1612 over the 1312 since it's $229 right now. The 1612 comes with Audyssey MultiEQ room correction that is really worth having if you ever add a sub or decide to use the receiver for an HT setup.

Given your budget, do you have room for towers or only bookshelves? The Energy V6.2s are a great bargain right now from Vanns. Advantage of towers is that the multiple towers will give you a fuller sound with better low end response.  Another speaker this is not a tower but has dual drivers for a fuller sound is the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE MINI-TOWER.

:D . The receiver looks pretty good . there is a problem with the denon site it doesn't show the 1612 in the a/v receivers page. 
i have room for both . the ascends look good . i have decided to go down to audio shop and listen to every speakers you guys recommended and choose between those . 
if i get the reciever and cables for 300$ and the speakers for 500-600$ i could still get a grado 225i .
Thanks , any other recommendation ?

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
:D . The receiver looks pretty good . there is a problem with the denon site it doesn't show the 1612 in the a/v receivers page. 
i have room for both . the ascends look good . i have decided to go down to audio shop and listen to every speakers you guys recommended and choose between those . 
if i get the reciever and cables for 300$ and the speakers for 500-600$ i could still get a grado 225i .
Thanks , any other recommendation ?

Denon XX12 are 2012 models. The 2013 models came out last spring. This is why the 1612 is on discount, and I would imagine that Denon is now listing the 1613 on their main AV receivers page instead. 

As for the speakers, Ascend Acoustics is an Internet direct retailer--you won't find them in stores. The Energys are not common. I know that some of the Best Buy Magnolia stores carry some of the Energy line (not sure about the Veritas). 

But going to listen to speakers is your best bet anyway for finding the ones that sound best to you :)

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Denon XX12 are 2012 models. The 2013 models came out last spring. This is why the 1612 is on discount, and I would imagine that Denon is now listing the 1613 on their main AV receivers page instead. 

As for the speakers, Ascend Acoustics is an Internet direct retailer--you won't find them in stores. The Energys are not common. I know that some of the Best Buy Magnolia stores carry some of the Energy line (not sure about the Veritas). 

But going to listen to speakers is your best bet anyway for finding the ones that sound best to you :)

the ascend acoustics have a 30 days refund policy , that pretty good .
thanks ,
any other suggestions ? :D

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
I own the Polk Monitor 30's and I love them! Very clear and for the price, hard to beat.

I've also heard very good things about the Klipsch RB-51's but they are considerably more expensive. Maybe read up on some reviews.

I've got a set of Polk RT25i's, which are pretty similar to the Monitor 30's, and they are a lot of fun. They have their own sound, but I think it lends itself to more aggressive music - Polks usually kick for their size.

The Klipsch apparently have a distinctive sound, too - a bit top-end-y, which I think might be fun, but I'd bet opinion is really dependent on what kind of sound you like. I've read good things about BIC's and a couple of the Pioneer small speakers as solid budget options, too. Not as well known, but I found a pair of Jamo Cornet 40 Mk.III on ebay that sound far better than they have any right to for small speakers...good flat response.

Also read good things about the Monoprice subs - apparently good thump on the cheap.

If you only need stereo and want to get in for not a lot of money - Onkyo used to make good, inexpensive high-current stereo amps and receivers, they probably still do. Good quality and extremely reliable for less than 200 bones.

Read some reviews on Audiokarma.org - so many choices in speakers and amps that it can get dizzying. Fortunately, once you focus in on specific sound ideas, there are a lot of good quality options, so you can leave the research phase behind pretty quickly and get to listening to some good music. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #22 of 22
Hi,
Some days ago I bought JBL 4312A used one from a guy in my town. I was really stunned by the music not only by the sound of it through my computer audio gears. I have usually focused on the sound itself not much on the music. It was made almost 30 years ago! It's too old and too cheap to that sound. It may be not for classic of full size of orchestra but it seems good enough for small and medium size of it and jazz or others.

On ebay I saw some of these are around $600. But I found not quite mint one at about a half price on a audio gears portal in my country. I think you also could find it around your home town. If you can buy it under $500 then grab it. I recommend you must listen to the music you like on this speaker or others before you buy one.

Have a good speaker.

Dongho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back