Speakers for under 500$
Aug 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

lXxCannibalxXl

New Head-Fier
Hi ,
So i was thinking on buying a pair speakers mostly for music playback but i also record my guitar solos (Amature)
I'm planning first on buying a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 (If you know any better audio interfaces under 500$ let me know) and hook it up with my guitar,laptop and PS3 .
I also have an O2 amp .
I haven't quite figured out my taste in music yet (warm,...)
but i like Melodic and Technical Death Metal and i like them with more treble and less bass than the usual .
I want to be able to add more speakers to these two i'm buying now and i want them to be good enough for usage during several years .
I can probably raise my budget to 1000$ if the SQ is extremely different between these two budgets you could recommend a pair of speakers under 1000$ .
Thanks .

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 22
I own the Polk Monitor 30's and I love them! Very clear and for the price, hard to beat.

I've also heard very good things about the Klipsch RB-51's but they are considerably more expensive. Maybe read up on some reviews.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
BTW how could i power up 2 speakers with a single amp ?

What do you mean? Speaker amps have a left and right channel for two speakers. You can't power these speakers with your O2 if that's what you're asking.

I power mine with a Denon AVR-1312 and it's more than sufficient to drive them. Their are tons of other options out there though and some you can probably find below $100.
I like the receiver option though b/c of the remote and since I have a sub, I can adjust the crossover their and overall, just have more control.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
DAMN . U think it's better if i just got another headphone ? I have a HD25-1 II . I could get a grado or sth. .

That's up to you
wink_face.gif

Why back out of the speaker idea though? Even if you bought the Kilpsch Speakers and a Denon 1312, you would only go a little over $500. Probably not over $550. That's not bad considering you said you could get your budget to $1000 if the sound quality was there.

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

That's up to you
wink_face.gif

Why back out of the speaker idea though? Even if you bought the Kilpsch Speakers and a Denon 1312, you would only go a little over $500. Probably not over $550. That's not bad considering you said you could get your budget to $1000 if the sound quality was there.

I'm a bit scared . There are lots of things i don't know about speakers . Can you fill me in about receivers ?

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 22
So i researched a bit . I think this budget might be good :
Speakers -> 350$
Cables -> 100$
Receiver ->350$
Audio Interface ->200$
The receiver should have an S/PDIF input and an Optical input .
Im gonna do this with my set up :
Laptop , Guitar , mic -> Audio Interface -> O2 -> Headphones
Audio Interface , Ps3 , Laptop's HDMI , Ipod -> Reveiver ->Speakers and Monitor
So any suggestions ?

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
I'm a bit scared . There are lots of things i don't know about speakers . Can you fill me in about receivers ?

Receivers are mostly used for home theater setups when you have a surround sound speaker setup and when multiple video components are being used. The receiver allows you to power the speakers and switch between video components easily and allows you to tweak the sound pretty precisely. That being said...

They 're great for powering a 2.0/2.1 setup because they have power, multiple and varied inputs, and tons of setting that allow you to tweak the sound the way you want it.

If you go the receiver route, I recommend getting a Denon. They're built well and Denon just makes quality stuff. The AVR-1312 would make the most sense because the next upgrade (the AVR-1612), only has video upgrades along with a USB port for easy iPod hookup. The 1312 has plenty of power for driving just about any speaker you choose so no need to worry there.

Yamaha also makes good receivers so if you don't care for the denons, they might have what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally posted by IXxCannibalxXl

So i researched a bit . I think this budget might be good :
Speakers -> 350$
Cables -> 100$
Receiver ->350$
Audio Interface ->200$
The receiver should have an S/PDIF input and an Optical input .
Im gonna do this with my set up :
Laptop , Guitar , mic -> Audio Interface -> O2 -> Headphones
Audio Interface , Ps3 , Laptop's HDMI , Ipod -> Reveiver ->Speakers and Monitor
So any suggestions ?

ReplyQuote Multi

The receiver will have digital inputs and your outline of how you're gonna hook everything up looks good.
                                           BUT...
I would not specifically put every piece of your wanted equipment into its own budget.
     If you buy from MonoPrice, you'll save a lot of money on cables
      I also wouldn't spend $350 on a receiver. My Denon 1312 cost me $170 and it works great! Most receivers at that cost too just have added features such as wireless connectivity and such.
           Nothing thats going to help give you better sound quality.

Spend your money in a way that will give you the best sound quality and the best user experience
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Receivers are mostly used for home theater setups when you have a surround sound speaker setup and when multiple video components are being used. The receiver allows you to power the speakers and switch between video components easily and allows you to tweak the sound pretty precisely. That being said...

They 're great for powering a 2.0/2.1 setup because they have power, multiple and varied inputs, and tons of setting that allow you to tweak the sound the way you want it.

If you go the receiver route, I recommend getting a Denon. They're built well and Denon just makes quality stuff. The AVR-1312 would make the most sense because the next upgrade (the AVR-1612), only has video upgrades along with a USB port for easy iPod hookup. The 1312 has plenty of power for driving just about any speaker you choose so no need to worry there.

Yamaha also makes good receivers so if you don't care for the denons, they might have what you're looking for.

The receiver will have digital inputs and your outline of how you're gonna hook everything up looks good.
                                           BUT...
I would not specifically put every piece of your wanted equipment into its own budget.
      I also wouldn't spend $350 on a receiver. My Denon 1312 cost me $170 and it works great! Most receivers at that cost too just have added features such as wireless connectivity and such.

Spend your money in a way that will give you the best sound quality and the best user experience
biggrin.gif

Quote:

BUT...

biggrin.gif

Thanks , however i did that research of mine on the receivers :D
i love denon btw , no problem with that , its just that the av1312 is around 200$ . not 170$ :D
i mentioned you're using the HDMI output to hook up the laptop to the receiver .
my laptop also has an HDMI out , if you think the sound quality is alright this way i could save up 200$ and not get the audio interface .
so the new budget is like this :
200$ -> Receiver
500$ -> Speaker
200$ -> Grado 225's
150$ -> DAC
 or if i can use the receiver as a DAC too , i could get either a HD600 or Speakers for 800$ .
What do you think ?

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Thanks , however i did that research of mine on the receivers :D
i love denon btw , no problem with that , its just that the av1312 is around 200$ . not 170$ :D
i mentioned you're using the HDMI output to hook up the laptop to the receiver .
my laptop also has an HDMI out , if you think the sound quality is alright this way i could save up 200$ and not get the audio interface .
so the new budget is like this :
200$ -> Receiver
500$ -> Speaker
200$ -> Grado 225's
150$ -> DAC
 or if i can use the receiver as a DAC too , i could get either a HD600 or Speakers for 800$ .
What do you think ?

I don't see the need to spend $800 on speakers. It just won't be worth it in my eyes. What ever you decide to do with the money you've saved is up to you.

The sound quality is just fine using the HDMI out on my laptop. The receiver is the DAC when you do this, so no need to buy a separate DAC if you hook up via HDMI.
Make sure though that your laptop outputs audio through the HDMI port and not just video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back