Speakers for the dorm room
Jun 29, 2007 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
Alright I need some speakers for my dorm room and eventually an apartment. Mainly they will be used for the computer. Now here is the problem, do I go bookshelf speakers or the 2.1 computer speaker setup? My output is an emu 0404.

I have an old JVC 100w receiver at my disposal. Price range ideally is under $100 but if the product is truly worth it I could go up to $150. The sound I'm looking for could best be described as similar to what I get out of my MS1s. Clean and with a little bit thump.

So far my shopping list includes trying to buy some Dynaco A25s which have been described as spectacular. So please, any recommendation for something in my price range and fairly easy to obtain?

**EDIT** Oh I also have a T-amp laying around here somewhere that could be used. And I just noticed a thread that turned into something extremely similar to what I'm asking. But bookshelves with some impact recommendations are still greatly appreciated.

**After doing some research I have come up with a few choices:
Dynaco A-25 (if i can find for a good price)
Edifier S2.1D
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Swans m200 (if i can find for a deal)
Insignia Bass Reflex from Best Buy

The budget is set at $150 max.

**FINAL CHOICE
Edifier S2.1D

These just sounded interesting and are relatively unique. $125 including shipping from ebay. I could've gotten the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia for $100 total but as good as those might sound I don't think I could've lived without knowing what the Edifiers sound like.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 11
In that price range.... the Insignias' would do the trick... IMO. BTW, BB puts them on sale rather frequently... keep an eye on their web site.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Sure, the Insignias are great, but they aren't as great as everyone makes them out to be, I would keep my options open, perhaps if you can stretch your budget a little more you can get some x-ls from av123, now THOSE are some speakers that everyone is ranting about.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 11
My gut instinct is to tell you to audition some Paradigm Cinema 70s or 90s, but to be completely honest they may not have the 'impact' you desire. While they would have some of the best top end detail out there, they just don't have big cones to move the air. They're made to be mated with a sub in a home theater setup. That having been said, I am satisfied with my pair of Cinema 70s as desktop speakers... just hearing what you said about bass makes me think that you want a bit more slam.

Compromises, is how I'd describe the $100 price point. There are speakers out there that are great all-around and have a dorm-friendly configuration, such as the Paradigm Mini Monitor, and similar small bookshelves from PSB, B&W, Definitive, and/or B&W. However, these usually begin around the $250 mark (the Atom Monitor, for example) and go up from there.

If I had to stay near/under $100, I would look at best buy and possibly Circuit City (CC carries Polk, another decent sounding line). I'd also start looking on Ebay and at used markets like Audiogon. Paradigm Mini Monitors (version 3 or 4, stay away from earlier models - current is v5) may now be selling for near that point; these are fantastic speakers that originally retailed for $350. Also, older Paradigm Atoms and Titans were cheaper and very highly reviewed and are almost certainly available, used, in your price range.

Quick note: I recommend Paradigm because that is what I know, and what I like. I do not mean to imply there are no other options, and you may not feel the same about them after you hear them.

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 11
they're called headphones
wink.gif

if your dorm is as noisy as mine was, it doensn't matter much what speakers you have
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiliman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, the Insignias are great, but they aren't as great as everyone makes them out to be, I would keep my options open, perhaps if you can stretch your budget a little more you can get some x-ls from av123, now THOSE are some speakers that everyone is ranting about.

you mean raving about? i'm not sure he wants any speakers people are ranting about...
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 11
If you search, you can find insignias for under 50 bucks used. I found a pair of insignias for 40 bucks over at avs but someone bought it already. But like Chiliman said, they're not as great but for 50 bucks? You get a damn good deal.

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 11
So I went with my gut and purchased the Edifiers S2.1D. Anyone who has these, feel free to send me reassuring replies as a buy like this always leaves me feeling antsy. On one hand I'm excited, but on the other hand I'm always gonna wonder what some of my other choices sound like. As a side note I'm still gonna continue my quest for a bargain deal on some Dynaco A-25s.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Welll with the Insignia's you'd have needed to buy an amp to power them as well.

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 11
I have a pair of Swans m200 and like them a lot. However I am wondering if I shouldn't get the Insignias from my local BB since I will be moving to Europe in 3 weeks and they are not available there. Does anyone know if the insignias + decent amp will significantly outperform the swans? If I remember well I paid about $200 for the swans. The insignias plus an amp would cost me around $170... If I sold the swans I could even make some money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back