Speakers for the Apartment.. =(
Oct 23, 2005 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kestrel

100+ Head-Fier
Well I've been given a receiver - Onkyo TX-8211 - from an international student/friend of mine who is headed back to Japan. Thanks again Jun
wink.gif
Specs are below.

Quote:

Amplifier Section
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz-20 kHz, FTC)
50 W/Ch
Dynamic Power*
105 W/Ch/70 W/Ch
THD (Rated Power)
0.08 %
Frequency Response
20 Hz-30 kHz (+/- 1 dB)

I have no idea how to interpret any of this D; From what I hear it's supposedly to be a very clean great bang for the buck amp - free in this case.

Never been much into home audio although I think that'll change. I'd love to be able to flood the apartment with music rather than lug headphones around.. I need a set of speakers though to go along with this however. The living room in the apartment is roughly 15x13 feet.

My budget is around $150 tops. Not a lot I know =/ But what can you do. I'm on a budget
smily_headphones1.gif
That's college for you. What will fill this room with decent quality music? Would a set of bookshelves do it or is that not enough for this application? I plan on hooking the TV/XBox/PC/Anything else up to this thing.

Thanks in advance for the help. My Senn HD280's stacked ontop of my monitor are getting old very quickly
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 10
I've taken a look at quite a few of the threads around here... Some people pointed out the Athena AS-B1s and I believe the missions were the M30s? I think the Paradigms you were referring to are the Atoms?

Is it possible for such a small speaker the size of a piece of paper practically to fill up the room? I'm having a hard time forcing myself to believe that
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel
Never been much into home audio although I think that'll change. I'd love to be able to flood the apartment with music rather than lug headphones around.. I need a set of speakers though to go along with this however. The living room in the apartment is roughly 15x13 feet.

I used to have an Onkyo TX-8511 stereo receiver, which is the 100/watts channel version of the TX-8211. Very smooth sounding piece.

When say "I'd love to be able to flood the apartment with music", do you mean doing that at concert level? Or you want speakers that can give you good performance?

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 10
The FR125s almost fits in your budget. It'll cost you a hair more to make your own cabinet (if you don't paint it) but it's really really close
wink.gif
XBL^2 is a great idea. I think there are white papers on it on adire's website, but I think you need to know a little about motor structure and physics to understand how it works. It's simple, and now that I think of it, a much more interesting idea than any cheap diy 2 way in this budget range since the drivers will inevitably be el cheapo and have relatively complex xovers to deal with the cheapo drivers' nasty problems.

http://www.creativesound.ca/

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

When say "I'd love to be able to flood the apartment with music", do you mean doing that at concert level? Or you want speakers that can give you good performance?

Well - I'd like to be able to hear things clearly across the room if that makes any sense. I know for some speakers the quality can absolutely fall apart if the appropriate distance is not maintained.

On the whole though... On the couch in front of the TV/Desk or sitting at the desk is where the quality would matter the most.

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Well I actually won a pair of mint condition paradigm atoms on ebay last night for 80 dollars. I believe that was a pretty good deal anyways
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll let you guys/girls know how they are once they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back