speakers for rock
May 2, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I am particularly fond of JMLab speakers. I picked up a new pair of JMLab Chorus 706 speakers ($225) and they are ridiculously good for the money. All the lower priced models perform way out of their league IMO. They are fast, clean and powerful sounding with very little coloration. As a bonus, they are surprisingly sensitive and get by on just a few watts. Highly recommended!

Doh! I was so tempted to buy that one off from audiogon, if I only didn't buy a 17" lcd monitor.

May 2, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #17 of 22
Axioms, as usual, I don't think you could get to many much better, even at the double of your budget...unless DIY, take a look there, they have some offers.
The other way to go, with this budget, is the kits offered for the DIY world by Madisound, PartsExpress, Speakercity, etc...

May 2, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Klipsch Reference Bookshelf Speakers flat out rock!!!

Seconded. Klipsch really does have a nice rock sound with their Tracktrix horn design.

May 4, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #19 of 22
Gotta big up those JmLabs Chorus 706s. I got them to sing with my Hybrid Jolida but they also sounded pretty good with my old Arcam A65 plus. They are on close out right now so you can get them pretty cheap. Or try a used pair from Audiogon. They sound better broken in. Let us know what you decide on. Hope this helps.

May 5, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #20 of 22
Don't forget the PSB line of speakers. While I haven't heard the Alpha B's, I owned the Alpha A/V's for a number of years and they rocked. For their price, $249.00 at Yawa On-Line, they are an excellent value.

May 13, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #21 of 22
I am surprised nobody has recommended MMGs. I would pass on a good bookshelf because you will need a sturdy set of stands for them to get to their potential. Really, you will be missing out with bad stands and good bookshelves. Good thing about MMGs is that you can upgrade everything in its path and still hear all the minute changes. With mid-fi speakers, the differences in amps/cables are pretty undetectable due to the detail and sound they are capable of producing (YMMV). MMGs show it all, and the better the surrounding equipment, the better they sound. I have upgraded all my components and I am still shocked at how my system improves. All I have left to upgrade is my speakers, and I am hesitant because they always improve with every tweak. MMGs come with stands, but you can build your own for $20 for a vast improvement in soundstage, detail, and throw. A few cons- you might want a sub to produce low end sound, especially if you use in a home theatre. You need a bit more open space for them to breathe. You need at least 80 watts, and the amp is the most important component to a MMG based system, so don't chince here. You will lose the difficulty of deciding which speakers to buy. MMGs are really the only way to go if you want planars (under $500).

May 8, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #22 of 22
I gotta third Klipsch. I listened to offerings from Klipsch, B&W, JMLab, PSB, and considered building with my own custom design for under $1000. I'm not big into a lot of jazz, but for rock, forget it. The Klipsch Reference Line starting at the RB-35s and RF-35s (don't go below them, I'm not impressed with anything below those that Klipsch makes) just blew away anything else. The B&W made even NIN boring, they were far too laid back for rock. The PSBs were very well balanced speakers, but just didn't have any magic in them. Good speakers though. The JMLabs had an awesome soundstage (except some electronic it was a little too expansive) and amazing detail (was likely going to use Focal/JMLab drivers if I went custom). Problem was they did very well for Godspeed you Black Emporer but still didn't quite rock out. The Klipsch speakers were the only ones that could just rock out. Klipsch were behind a little bit in detail and soundstage to the JMLabs, but I felt ahead or equal in every category for the PSBs. So I went with a pair of RB-35s (wanted RF-35s, but eh, damn college and having to move) and couldn't have been happier. I pair them with NAD equipment and its been total bliss.

So make sure you check out the RB-35s and RF-35s... they're rock fans dirty little secret I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back