Speakers for rap / little brother
May 13, 2004 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
So my brother has expressed interest in hi-fi, but speakers, not headphones. He listens mostly to rap music, and jazz.

He's actually got room for a speaker setup, as long as they're not too big (we're talking bookshelf). Budget is "reasonable."

May 13, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
So my brother has expressed interest in hi-fi, but speakers, not headphones. He listens mostly to rap music, and jazz.

He's actually got room for a speaker setup, as long as they're not too big (we're talking bookshelf). Budget is "reasonable."

Eric, how much is reasonable? Have you looked through the portable speaker galleries, yet?

What leaps to my mind are the Videologic Siroccos

image020.jpg

This is a great bedroom and computer setup that gets some serious reviews and not terribly priced, either.

These Swans M-200s also get good reviews and and are lovely looking, IMO, too.

hr_Swans_M_200s.jpg

I've read alot of good things here about these Edirol MA10Ds, too.

hr_Edirol_MA10Ds.sized.jpg

May 13, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 14
I went speakers shopping with a friend a few months ago. He likes rap & hip-hop. After auditioning some speakers (Canton, Wharfedale, Bose, and Polk), he went with the Polk LS7i. I agreed with him that of the speakers we listened to the Polk LS series has the most slam suitable for faster and bass heavy music. Also, it helps masked the poor recording some rap and Hip-hop CDs suffer from. The other speakers we listened to are just too smooth and polite for this genre.

The LS7i retails for $600/pair. But you could get them on-line for around $500.

May 14, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 14
First thing you want to look at is a subwoofer. If he listens to rap, then he wants a kickass sub, probably more than "good" speakers. Though, he does listen to jazz, so you definitely don't want to get crappy speakers either.

I've heard the Sirroco Crossfire, which sounds excellent, but the sub was definitely not up to rap standards. Perhaps Sirroco has better subs, but the one with the Crossfire was more musical than impressive.
frown.gif

Also, Sirroco did not have customer service here in the US at that time (~2 years ago). They might now though.

Sorry I can't give any recommendations, but I can say that Klipsch Promedias (which I have) have a sub that would work for rap, but they are definitely not good for music in general.

May 14, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 14
That's REALLY REALLY tough. Rap and other music don't mix if you listen to rap as it is intended to be heard. I would recommend the event tr-5 as the best speakers I've heard under $300, maybe $500 for professional powered monitors, but the 5.25" woofers won't satisfy your brother 100%. Adding a sub to the event tr-5 would be my choice because you could dial in the bass somewhat to taste, bump it up for rap, turn it down for jazz.

The tr-5's are sweeeeeeeeet imo. You can get them on ebay for under $200 used too. The only problem would be getting a sub. A starter subwoofer would be the dayton 10" powered sub for $125. That's gotten good reviews for tight musical bass. That's the easy way out. If you want something better, the price is going to triple. You can diy your own kick ass subwoofer for about $300, or you can buy the Dayton Titanic sub off of ebay if you're patient for the $250 reserve plus $25 shipping or so. This would be an all powered system. Add preamp and you're ready to ROLL. Or if you use a computer, I guess you don't strictly need a preamp, but I would still use one.

One more tip: The event tr-5 can EASILY be auditioned at your local pro audio center (read GUITAR CENTER.)

May 15, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 14
Holy crap! Someones making and selling little Starship Enterprises...
lach_3.gif

May 15, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 14
LOL! That's pretty cold, Old Pa..
lach_3.gif

May 17, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
32.JPG

OMG TEH BASS!!!1

Really though, is your brother interested in sound quality or a system that can thump his chest?

So can that thing shoot missles or what?

May 17, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

First thing you want to look at is a subwoofer. If he listens to rap, then he wants a kickass sub, probably more than "good" speakers

I second that. Find out if your bro likes loud distorted bass. If he doesn't mind it then I bet it's louder the better for him. For many people who like rap, if the bass shakes your body then it's a cool system.

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 14
That JVC unit looks stupid. I also mostly listen to rap and will probably try to have a similar setup in my dorm. I have Bose 301 bookshelfs in my living room and they sound decent for rap. They have a 8" woofer and 2 3" tweeters.

Aug 4, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 14
Bass is important in hip hop, but it shouldn't overpower the lyrics. Personally, I really don't like this whole southern rap trend...all they do is yell at you. If i wanted to be yelled at id go back to boot camp.
Most of the hip hop i listen to is more about vocals than bumping.
I just wanted to say that there is some intellegent hip hop out there...it's not always about bass.
But i guess i do have a pair a dt770s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back