Speakers for Macbook Pro
Dec 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Derek1984

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm looking for speakers to use for a Macbook Pro I'll be getting in a few months. I'll be using programs like Logic Studio so I'll want speakers with good sound quality for recording music. I'd also like the speakers to be able to hook up with an ipod touch as well. I'm looking to spend $300 or less, and the smaller the speakers, the better. Right now, I have my eyes on the Bose Companion 3 series II speakers but I'm sure there are some other good options out there. What do you guys think of the Bose Companion 3's? What else would you reccomend as well? Thanks for your time

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 13
personally I don't like the M-Audio actives, because their response curve is like a bell, and I don't like that super punchy in your face presentation in a speaker (ironically, I love Grado's)

however, you may be different, and find the sound appealing, SQ wise they aren't bad at all (they are accurate and lively, I just don't like their presentation as much as the Mackie or Genelec) you may also consider the Yamaha studio monitors, hadn't thought of them until you mentioned M-Audio

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 13
Well now that I know more of what is out there besides Bose, I think I will probably up up getting the Audioengine A2's. They seem to be small and the reviews seem to be really good. Plus, they are only $200 compared to the Bose I was looking at for $250. I think the A2's are what I am going to get. Is there anything else that I would need to buy for them? I want them connected to my Macbook Pro and then sometimes I want to use my iPod Touch with them as well. Anything else I would need to buy besides what comes with the speakers? Thanks

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 13
Yeah, there's a guitar center not far from my house...Maybe I'll just see what they got since I'm not in a huge rush. Right now, the A2's seem to be the way to go. Thanks a lot for your help.

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 13
You could certainly do worse than the AudioEngine 2's.

Nice sounding speakers...Really nice.

Small footprint...Not that sensitive to placement compared to rear ported speakers.

And hey...I saw a Apple commercial and they had AudioEngine's in it.

I can tell you AudioEngine speakers will tell the story on your Mac's soundcard.

Might want to get something like this.

Turtle Beach PC Sound Card - Audio Advantage Micro

Or this.

Creative Sound Blaster Play! Sound Card - Experience better music and movies everywhere you go!

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 13
is a great powered 2.1 (2-way satellites and subwoofer) that can be found for around $350 used). Scary good imaging and smooth freq response. Only con is a that they're probably not easy on the ears at high SPL for hours on end. I use em for post-production work and Skywalker Sound has rooms and rooms full of Blue Sky monitors.

Jan 5, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 13
a pair of tascam vl-a5 supposedly kill the M-Audio BX-5A. search on gearslutz to confirm this. i wanted small monitors so i pulled the trigger on the vl-a4... the a5s have better frequency response if you don't mind the depth of the cabinet.

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 13
Nuforce Icon have really good ones, but you also need to get the desktop amp. Total is like $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back