Speakers for dorm room
Sep 11, 2010 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kirtar

Head-Fier
I'm thinking about picking up a set of speakers for my dorm room (Budget <$100).  At this point I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280s that I use while I'm in the room, but with my glasses and the clamping force that the phones exert, they get to be uncomfortable after some time.  I also have Sleek Audio SA-6s that I use while on the go, which do not have this problem, but can be uncomfortable during long sessions due to moisture/heat buildup inside my ear.

A little about my computer setup and room.  At almost all times I have no open USB ports on my laptop (Dell Precision m4400), although I could purchase a hub if necessary.  The desk that I have is fairly small by my standards, and I can only put the speakers on a shelf above my laptop if I want the speakers to actually be to my left and right.  The shelf is a foot deep at best, but has no ceiling (besides that of the room).  I'm not to concerned about having a sub as long as the speakers have decent bass, but having a sub is always a bonus.  I use my computer to watch movies, play games, as well as of course, listening to music.  Again my budget is $100.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 19
What kinds of music do you listen to? Are they going to be for casual somewhat quiet listening? Will they ever need to be cranked up to fill your room with music?

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 19
Less than $100?
Try the Phillips http://www.amazon.com/Philips-MMS321-Channel-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B000FCN6SG

These are actually pretty good sounding - especially for a 2.0 system.
I use them for travel... so I don't have to lug my Audioengine A2 around and risk damaging them.

They sound awesome at medium volumes.
If you are looking for LOUD, these are not it.

Anyways, I picked mine up for $20 refurbished.
LOL - for $20 - it's worth a try.

Good Luck!

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
What kinds of music do you listen to? Are they going to be for casual somewhat quiet listening? Will they ever need to be cranked up to fill your room with music?

I listen to a decent variety of music ranging from classical to rock depending on what mood I'm in.  For the most part I'll be probably keeping them at a medium volume (full sound but not too loud I guess).  As for filling the room, I doubt that'll be difficult since it's a 11.5'x12.5' room including the closets.  I might go with the logitechs so I can outpower my brother's system when I get home (let's have fun blowing papers across the room!)

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 19
The Logitechs should easily be loud enough. While they don't offer the detailed mids and super crisp highs a set of studio monitors can offer they do, for the price, offer a nice bang for the buck :wink:

Quote:
I listen to a decent variety of music ranging from classical to rock depending on what mood I'm in.  For the most part I'll be probably keeping them at a medium volume (full sound but not too loud I guess).  As for filling the room, I doubt that'll be difficult since it's a 11.5'x12.5' room including the closets.  I might go with the logitechs so I can outpower my brother's system when I get home (let's have fun blowing papers across the room!)

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 19
hmmm on second thought I might go with the studio monitors instead since the sub on the logitech won't actually fit on the shelf.  Would the AV30's (or if I can get my brother to help pay for them, the av40's) be sufficient to get a somewhat full sound in a roughly 8.5'x11.5' room (this is approximate dimensions once I exclude the closets)?

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 19
I have some Creative I-TRIGUE 3500s and love em (2.1).  I think these are some of the best for clarity for the money.

I've heard logitech setups in other people's dorm rooms, but while the bass sounds good... the speakers sound sub par to what I've heard from Creative. 

These are what I have:

Note that the volume/bass control is very poor if you want to use your headphones.  This creates a little problem if you don't have a soundcard with multiple OUTs.  You can get by with gaming and such with using that remote, but it does muddy the sound compared to connecting directly to your soundcard with headphones.  I suppose you could use a switcher or splitter?  I don't know what this would do to the audio quality....

If you don't need a sub... read up on these:

http://us.store.creative.com/GigaWorks-T20-Series-II/M/B001RNOHDU.htm

If you'd like a sub...
Try some of the I-TRIGUEs if they are still around.

Otherwise that Phillips above looks good.

Logitech will give you a ton of bass, and good bass, but I think the speaker quality really lacks.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 19
Something I just realized when looking through specification (e.g. size etc), are the m-audio AV-40's $150 for one speaker or for two?  I read that they're 14 lb each, but the amazon link lists the package weight as 16 lb and has the size listed as the size for one speaker.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 19
Check out woot.com today - refurb AV30s + a lot of under stuff for 60+5 shipped

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
The Logitechs are decent for gaming but very lackluster with music. They'll go plenty loud and bassy, though, if that's your flavor. I didn't like mine that much.

That's why I got rid of my set. WAY too bassy, even with the volume turned down on the sub. Though the newer ones don't have that issue and can turn the sub down pretty far to where it blends well with the sats.

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #15 of 19
The Logitech is very bassy and sounds muddy.

I suggest the Harman Kardon Soundsticks II, which can be found occasionally directly from Harman Audio (refurbished) for about $80. Comes with a full factory warranty.

You might also be able to find Klipsch Promedia 2.1's used on Craigslist for ~$70-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back