Speakers for computer for dubstep.
Dec 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Somemother

New Head-Fier
I was so impressed by the advice I was given about what budget headphones to buy my son for his 14th birthday that I've come back for more advice. :)

My son would like speakers for his pc for Christmas. He mainly listens to dubstep/dance and plays games (minecraft, diablo etc).
Can you suggest some good speakers for him please? He has Sony XB500 headphones 
smily_headphones1.gif
 so if there are some speakers that sound as nice as these that'd be fantastic!

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Budget... Hmmm I honestly have no idea what I can get for what cost. Max would be £250.

Size - again no idea... Something small maybe? It's for his bedroom so I don't want a huge 7ft speaker.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 10
What about some bookshelf speakers + a sub? 

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 10
Dec 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 10
What is your budget? 

I am running KRK Rokit's 8's with a Lexicon Alpha audio interface, and custom balanced cables ($800 USD). This is by no means a inexpensive setup, nor a expensive one, but one that is capable of all music, especially dubsetp.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 10
I used to have 2x M-Audio BX5 D2 with an M audio sbx10 subwoofer.. its fairly expensive, but the best computer speaker setup for the price range that you could buy.  I havent heard a monitor speaker setup that sounded nearly as good as that ever before.. plus there is a footpedal to turn the subwoofer off because that sub can shake the walls if the music is loud enough.  I highly recommend and if i didnt enjoy headphones more than speakers.. that would be my exact same setup..

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #10 of 10
As you quoted in £'s I am assuming you are in the UK.  You may want to look into something like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/alesis-m1a520usb-active-usb-monitor-speakers

Simple plug and play USB speakers that are well within budget and should be ample for a small bedroom and reasonable listening levels.  If you wanted to spend a little more look into a USB audio device and active monitors from the same site, I have used them before and have found them to be both knowledgeable and helpful.  Also may want to look into DV247.com as a potential source, they are mainly London based but you would also be able to visit and test most likely if you give them a call in advance.

Consider 5" drivers as a minimum with possible sub, or increase the driver size to 8" and forget the sub.  Be aware that a sub can cause vibration in OTHER ROOMs of your house if not well located.  I used to have a sub on a bedroom floor with wooden floorboards, the room downstairs had a nice rumble even at low listening levels.

I would recommend auditioning and purchasing locally over a blind internet buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back