Speakers for a T-amp
Mar 27, 2010 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kawai_man

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought a trends 10.1 t-amp and I want to get another set of speakers for it, right now Im using a set of Tekton 6.5 single driver speakers with it which are 95db. They sound quite nice but Im not 100% happy with the sound and also I dont like that I can only turn up the amp just a hair before its too loud for me. I was reading this article (link below) where in the article it says...

"First off, any speakers you intend to tether to the T-amp must be hyper efficient. Anything less than 90dB/W/m sensitivity at one watt won't work. Even high efficiency doesn't guarantee sonic success. The T-amp's ideal transducer needs to be not only sensitive, but also capable of performing optimally when supplied with very little current. Since the most robust outboard 12-volt power supply you can safely attach to the T-amp should produce only 5 Amps, you can't expect the T-amp to put out a great deal current. This lack of current capability means the T-amp won't supply anything more than minimal electronic damping. Once a driver is set in motion, the T-amp doesn't do much to stop its motion."

Is there a way I can figure out if a speakers only need a little current or how much current it needs by looking at the specs? any recommendations are also welcome my budget is ~250 and ill most likely be buy used

The Nearfield -- A Straight Wire With Gain Article By Steven Stone

thanks

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 12
I use a pair of Quad 12L with the much crappier Lepai T-amp and sound is satisfactory so take that 90db sensitivity measure with a (small) pinch of salt [ the Quads are 86db but 6ohm].

For 250 ( I will assume $USD ) I got nothing off the top of my head. But a set of used Wharfedale or Mission bookshelves should be accessable for that.

Do you use PC as source?

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 12
I use products with my T-amp at my office desk. Nice, compact, efficient Fullranger. Will not thump like a 2.1 setup, but for the jazz and instrumental I listen to, its perfect. Pretty in veneer as well.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 12
I have very good results with both John Blue JB3 and my DIY Dallas II with Fostex FE206E - and the Trends TA-10.1

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a pair of Quad 12L with the much crappier Lepai T-amp and sound is satisfactory so take that 90db sensitivity measure with a (small) pinch of salt [ the Quads are 86db but 6ohm].

For 250 ( I will assume $USD ) I got nothing off the top of my head. But a set of used Wharfedale or Mission bookshelves should be accessable for that.

Do you use PC as source?

thanks, I`m using it with my xiang-sheng tube dac connected to my macbook pro

Quote:

I use products with my T-amp at my office desk. Nice, compact, efficient Fullranger. Will not thump like a 2.1 setup, but for the jazz and instrumental I listen to, its perfect. Pretty in veneer as well.

I know what you mean these tektons do sound great, but as you mentioned the bass is quite weak, which almost never bothers me when I`m listening to music but for movies it kind of does. The model I have gets too loud , with just the volume turned up a little it can get too loud sometimes, these speakers sound their best with the volume turned up more than 1/3 of the way and at that volume they will wake up my whole house and probably a few of the neighbors.

Quote:

I have very good results with both John Blue JB3 and my DIY Dallas II with Fostex FE206E - and the Trends TA-10.1

I was going to get some jb3 I found used a while back, since those speaker are made specifically for t-amps but someone snagged them before me , I bet they sound great. If I wasnt so busy id give making my own speakers a go, those look fantastic!

Quote:

Instead of new speakers perhaps you need a different t-amp. Perhaps something like: Octopus Tripath based amp For Sale | AudiogoN

I dont think a different t-amp will make a difference I think all t-amps will likely have very similar speaker requirements.

Quote:

You could also sell both your t-amp and tekton 6.5 and get: Quad 12L Active For Sale | AudiogoN

Thats pretty cool, but I want to give the t-amp a shot, I really like it so far and I plan on running it on battery soon once I figure out which battery I should get and how to connect the t-amp to it.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mteinum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is that your setup? Wow.

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of new speakers perhaps you need a different t-amp. Perhaps something like: Octopus Tripath based amp For Sale | AudiogoN

Note: I have no association with this seller or the product.

It's built by Michael Mardis. I built a T-amp with one of his Tweak kits he used to sell. I still can't believe how good that little amp sounds with an older pair of Paradigm Atoms.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont think a different t-amp will make a difference I think all t-amps will likely have very similar speaker requirements.

I am not so sure, my t-amp is the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 which produces 30 wpc. Red Wine Audio also has a pair of mono-blocks which produce 70 wpc each and they are based on the t-amp. I realize these two are a lot of money but I just present them to illustrated the wide range of t-amps available. Good luck.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mteinum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, indeed. I'm clearing out all the junk in the spare room and building me a proper music room.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"First off, any speakers you intend to tether to the T-amp must be hyper efficient. Anything less than 90dB/W/m sensitivity at one watt won't work. Even high efficiency doesn't guarantee sonic success. The T-amp's ideal transducer needs to be not only sensitive, but also capable of performing optimally when supplied with very little current. Since the most robust outboard 12-volt power supply you can safely attach to the T-amp should produce only 5 Amps, you can't expect the T-amp to put out a great deal current. This lack of current capability means the T-amp won't supply anything more than minimal electronic damping. Once a driver is set in motion, the T-amp doesn't do much to stop its motion."

Only ones opinion. I was running 89db speakers with the Trends and they worked fine. Also a pair of 90 DB speakers also worked well for desktop listening. I don't buy what they are selling. A few watts is plenty if you are not shooting for 90 db or so listening position levels.

As for differences in T- amps, Duh of course there are. My new Virtue sounds better than the Trends, but it is 4 times the cost.

Don't believe everything you read or at least get some other opinions as you are doing with the forum.

cheers and enjoy your new amp.

Oh, speaker recommendation. Look at PSB, they sound fantastic for the $

Users who are viewing this thread

Back