Speakers for a Dell Laptop?
Jan 16, 2005 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KenW

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey folks, I did a search but didn't find a conclusive answer. I'm not looking for an audiophile setup. This is a regular laptop and not one that's suped up to be a multimedia powerhouse. It's got a plain jane sound card and nothing more. No desire to upgrade it either. Just want speakers for dorm use. It's got a headphone jack and USB. Not looking to add any other hardware. Just need a decent sounding speaker setup to plug straight into a laptop. Any suggestions? Budget would be under $100. Thanks for any input.

Right now, I've got the Altec Lansing XT1's under consideration but they're $120 or so. Anything better for the money?

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 10
ive seen some that attaches to the side of the screen. i forget where i saw these.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
if you're not too overly concerned with used i think you can hunt for a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1s

How do they interface with the laptop? USB? Do you have any experience with how they sound paired with the standard Dell laptop?

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
How do they interface with the laptop? USB? Do you have any experience with how they sound paired with the standard Dell laptop?

dell laptop has a headphone out, you can use that port..since its stereo anyway. it'll sound alright, you won't hear as much hiss with the speakers as compared to headphones using the dell laptop's onboard sound. its powerful enough to shake your room, thats for sure.

if you use USB speakers.. then you're effectively bypassing the laptop's onboard sound..and the quality will depend on the USB speaker's DAC

FWIW i have a Dell Laptop as well... awful onboard sound, the hiss will kill you when using headphones

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
dell laptop has a headphone out, you can use that port..since its stereo anyway. it'll sound alright, you won't hear as much hiss with the speakers as compared to headphones using the dell laptop's onboard sound. its powerful enough to shake your room, thats for sure.

if you use USB speakers.. then you're effectively bypassing the laptop's onboard sound..and the quality will depend on the USB speaker's DAC

FWIW i have a Dell Laptop as well... awful onboard sound, the hiss will kill you when using headphones

Thanks. I'm thinking the speakers are more for movies than anything else as he's got headphones, the iPod and XM radio already. Guess the cheapie speakers he has now aren't doing the job. I'll keep my eyes open for the Klipsch speakers. Appreciate the help.

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 10
for movies then i'd say the Klipsch is a good choice. it may not be 5.1 surround, but 2.1 will give plenty enjoyment, especially with titles such as Behind Enemy Lines with the fighther's sonic boom effects...and action flicks will give enough kick for gunshots.

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Definately. Klipsch speakers are awesome for the price. I own the 5.1 ultras and they blow all other computer speakers away. They also have a 2.0 system out now, that's supposed to sound really good, but I haven't read any reviews. They won't have a bass extention quite like the sub, but I imagine they'll sound good, and be rather small. (and stylish
wink.gif
)

Jan 17, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 10
Klipsch Ultra 2.0 if you're not a bass-heavy person, or don't have room for a subwoofer.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 if you're looking for some nice low-end and do some gaming, movie watching.

I highly recommend the 2.1's. I own a set and they sound great. Great sub to satt integreation. Good, strong highs. One of the smoothest midrange sound for multimedia. The only flaw is a slightly recessed midrange.

If you want to have another option, look into the Altec Lansing MX5021. I own this set also and it rivals the 2.1's very good. It has a better midrange and high range, but the low end won't be as punchy or loud.

When you have two great sets to choose from, you can't go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back