Speakers for 250 USD
Dec 5, 2007 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

inasafeplace

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, my soundcard is an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and I'm looking for the best speakers for my pc in a range of 200-300 USD. I have looked at M-Audio BX5A so far, but I really have no idea of what to get. I have also heard good things of Fostex studio monitors in the same prince range. I would also be thankful if you could recommend me a pair of head sets (what I have right now is ATH-M40fs).

Thanks a lot

Alex

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 25
KRK generally has good monitors. I've been happy with the sound of my school's RP-8's. RP-5 would be somewhat in your price range.

Pretty much everything else I've listened to is a good $400+ for a pair.

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 25
Thanks. Anything else? Would anyone put a list of 3-4 products they think are very good and say why? I'm totally noob about the matter when some help is needed. I can pay up to 325 USD including shipping, and maybe a ltitle more if someone tell me it can be worth it.

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 25
Do you have a power amp, or are you looking for powered speakers? I'm not familiar with your soundcard, so forgive me if my question has already been answered.

For powered speakers, I've heard good things about the Swan's.

I'm in the process of building a 41hz Amp6, and plan to get some $200-$300 unpowered monitors, such as the Paradigm Atom or PSB Alpha-B1.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 25
Desktop speakers have a few considerations

1. How much space do you have?

2. Do you need them to be shielded? (very likely)

3. Do you need a lot of bass? Sub?

4. Do you need powered speakers?

I went through all of this and ended up with a Trends TA 10.1 amp and a pair of Aperion Audio Intimus 422 plus a sub. If you have more space and don't need crazy bass you could do it with a pair of 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" monitors.

That being said this is my first experience with Aperion and it has been positive. Speakers look nice and sound great with the Trends. They don't get ridiculously loud but its perfect for my desktop.

Also check Audiogon for deals.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 25
1. I dont have that much space to deal with, but I can always find a way to deal with it...
2. Shielded? Whats that?
3. Not really... or can you explain what u mean by that?
4. Powered speakers? Excuse my ignorance.

Also, can you guide me through links referring to what u suggest me cocnretely? WHich pieces can I consider getting and how much for each? I can not test this so I'm going to buy something referring to what people told me to get, so I really want to make sure I get something that does the job well.
smily_headphones1.gif
Is there particular material for specific music genres? I listen especially to Dreampop, Shoegaze, Krautrock, Minimal Techno/IDM, experimental noise, drone, ambient.... some others too but those mainly. I don't think bass is fundamental here.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 25
Shielded means the magnets are shielded so they cannot easily interfere with other devices. This is usually a good idea if any CRT's are around, or if you have an external hard drive close by.

Powered means the speakers have a built in amplifier. Unpowered speakers will require an amp of some sort. I doubt that sound card will put out enough juice to power some good size speakers.

If you like bass, you'll want a sub. Or at least 8" woofers on your monitors. I find that anything under 6" is just straight up weak in terms of bass, and even 6" drivers leave you wanting more. Subs add more money, however...but you can always add one when money permits.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 25
Another think to consider is how you like your music...do you like it very analytical, just like it sounds in the control room where it was recorded? Or do you want creamy highs, with a laid back sound?

If you want the speakers to be as flat as possible (meaning they recreate the music just as the engineers had recorded it) look for a very flat response curve on the speaker. Most studio monitors will be like this since they are made to be very analytical. Once you get into home products you will find speakers with noticeably different curves.

If you can, go to a good audio shop and try out some speakers and take notes of their design (namely speaker size and box) and the freq response they get. Take that knowledge and apply it to other speakers, or just buy one you listened to.

Assuming you're in the US there are quite a few high end home audio shops in most major cities.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 25
I, not sure which way I like my music...

and also I live in Quebec City area, so I need to order online. I know there are a few shops in Quebec City but I'm asking here cause I know u people are dedicated...

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 25
Dec 6, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 25
If you don't have a speaker amplifier your choices are quite limited in the sub $400 range. If you do have a speaker amplifier/willing to get one, the possibilities are huge if you go used. Let me summarize:

Used amp+speakers for under $400 is a lot of possibilities.
Powered speakers for under $400 not so much.

Of course this is only based on my experience and only applies to somewhat audiophile gear (there is plenty of powered logitech under $400).

EDIT: Sorry I read $400 somewhere and got mixed up with the OP's $250 requirement. For $250 audiophile gear is a stretch.

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 25
so lets say I raise that amount to 400 USD, u guys could set me up something?

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 25
If you go used with $400CDN even, theres plenty of options if you're willing to buy an amplifier+speakers. Of course a lot more research would/should be done on your part to find the best match. NAD amplifiers used can go in the $200 range, PSB/Paradigm/Warfdale/etc mini monitors can also be had in the $200 range used. Onix xls are $200 brand new with a sale on now for 165 brand new for a pair, but shipping/customs will be another $150. (opt for air shipping because customs will be included, it will be faster, and ultimately cheaper because customs is ridiculous).

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 25
Based on your music selection I would highly suggest getting a subwoofer. You don't know what you're missing until you've heard electronic music with a good sub. To make things easy you could go with the Blue Sky Exo 2.1. I honestly don't know much about it, but it looks like a quality 2.1 system.
Buy Blue Sky EXO Studio Monitoring System online at Musician's Friend

If you want to do some more research you should consider these items:

1. Shielded speakers.
2. powered subwoofers
3. Integrated amp

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 25
Newegg has the Swans M200 MkII's for about 225

Newegg.com - Swan M200MKII 2CH Hi-end digital Multimedia system

AudioEngine A2 Self Powered Audiophile Speakers

Review Here for A2 - Priced at 199

Audioengine A2 Review and User Opinions. Speaker Systems Reviews by Digital Trends.

Or its Better Spec'd older brother the A5

Review Here for A5 - Priced at 349

Audioengine 5 Review and User Opinions. Speaker Systems Reviews by Digital Trends.

and here

Audioengine A5 Setup and Conclusion — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

Get a sub separately later, unless its a priority, these speakers should sound fantastic, oh and Audioengine gives you a 30 day free trial period apparently. And the Swan M200 MkII already have a good rep in part due to the original M200. These should satisfy your audiophile cravings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back