Speakers for $200-$400
Dec 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mike1808

New Head-Fier
Hello. I am looking for some good replacement for my 10 years old JBL Hi-Fi system with two speakers 

I need something like this for daily usage as main speakers. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 11
Emotiva Airmotiv powered monitors are truly great in that price range.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 11
All the studio monitors we recommended have built in amps. I would say if you like the Presonus monitors to get the 5 inch versions. I have the Presonus subwoofer and it is amazing. I got it for $265 so let me know if you want that deal. Otherwise there are a lot of good subs for cheap, any sub will make the sound twice as good. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 11
Hello again. I have analyzed and decided that I don't need monitors in my home. I won't do any mastering and other studio stuff at my desktop.

I need a pair (or 2.1) of good hi-fi (I don't exactly know where "fi" ends and "end" starts) speakers (desirable 8'').

If they are any arguments that I'd buy active monitors I'm glad to hear you.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 11
I and many others use monitors for joyful listening. I do no mastering whatsoever and I love my setup. It does not sound boring or lifeless. You do not need a separate amp and the amp in monitors are already matched. There are more 8" monitors than 8" passives. Most passive bookshelves are 6.5". If you are doing a desktop setup you should definitely stick with monitors and add a subwoofer. Get some JBL LSR305's and Presonus Subwoofer for $500 total. One member here has this setup because of me and he loves it. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 11
Thank you for reply. 

So one more question, how I supposed to connect unbalanced output from my DAC to balanced input of JBLs?

Update: I've found some converters from on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back