Speakers for 0404 USB on an iMac
Dec 8, 2007 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ade1982

New Head-Fier
Recommendations, please?

I have an intel iMac, an 0404 USB and lots of pairs of headphones.

Mainly to listen to music, preferably for surround sound (is it possible?), or fed into a receiver (if so, which one?) and some decent speakers?

If you are going 2.1 channel, what speakers, and how do I connect them?

There's a budget of about $250, but I am in the UK (that's £125), but cheaper is nice. If there is something exceptional, or I am barking up the wrong tree, and should go down a different route without the 0404, then please tell me.

I did ask a similar question last week, but on a different subject.

Cheers,

Ade

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 15
$250 probably isn't enough for a 2.1 setup with discrete components. You might try a two-speaker active monitor setup, like the M-Audio BX5a, which could be volume-controlled by the 0404 USB's Main Output knob.

Otherwise, you might have better luck with a set of computer speakers, such as the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, though these can be difficult to find in the U.K.

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 15
Many thanks for that,

Monitors are an interesting idea.

How would I go about connecting them to the 0404?

Any other decent monitors around that price range?

Cheers,

Ade

Dec 9, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 15
I have a vintage Sansui AU-517, and I use a pair of Paradigm mini-monitors. I use the optical out on my mac to a TC-7510 DAC. payed about 150 for the speakers, 150 for the integrated amp, and around the same for the dac... sounds amazing to me. Anyways, im not sure how the 0404 is, if it can power speakers or not, but I would suggest getting some Paradigm monitors... They are usually easy to find used, and great bang for the buck. find a decent integrated amp to power em, and you are set. Might set you a little over your budget, but thats audio for ya.

Dec 10, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks for that,

Monitors are an interesting idea.

How would I go about connecting them to the 0404?

Any other decent monitors around that price range?

Cheers,

Ade

Balanced active monitors are what the 0404 USB are designed to drive--these have the amplifiers built into the speaker by the manufacturer, so an external amp isn't needed. You could use 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cables from the 0404 USB's main output (make sure that each cable is stereo on each end, not mono like 1/4" instrument cables).

1/4" TRS (stereo) connector
np3c.jpg

Or, you could use 1/4" TRS to XLR cables, if the speakers only accept XLR or if you prefer the locking connection style of XLR.

SL500I-CMX.5.jpg

At that price range, the selection is a little slim. The Samson Rubicon 5a and Event ALP5 might be good choices as well, but the BX5a is the usual budget recommendation, though I'll admit that I haven't had a chance to listen to any of these models. Check out a local pro audio store to get ideas.

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 15
Since you are in the UK you might want to look at Wharfedale monitors. They are a pretty good speakers for the money.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 15
Thank you one and all.

Seems I have some reading to do!

Better to have too many options than too few, so please continue if there are any further recommendations. If it is slim pickings down that low, what is a reasonable price range?

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 15
The start of the truly good active monitors is in the $800-$1000/pair range. Passive speakers tend to be priced all over the place, but anything with a street price of $500/pair or higher should be a good start, though there are some overpriced speakers in every price segment, so be careful.

Buying used will save you a significant amount of money.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 15
I recommend Audioengine A5 self-powered speakers which retail for about USD 350. I have used this with my 0404 USB being fed lossless files from iTunes and was extremely extremely pleased with the sound.

The price point may be too high but then of course there's always used, demo, etc.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #13 of 15
I've just swapped my Audioengine A5 speakers for a pair of M-Audio BX8a studio monitors. I am not using the 0404 USB as a source, but I think this comparison may be helpful for you and others.

The BX8a studio monitors are more flat and detailed than the Audioengines, which would make them very good for monitoring. But for long-term listening (2+ hours) these monitors can be fatiguing, especially with more poor recordings.

I think the average listener would probably prefer the Audioengines because of their good balance between detail, musicality, and smoothness. They are revealing enough to appreciate the details in music, but not so revealing as to give you a headache after 2 hours of listening.

If your budget is only $250, it might be a mistake to go with studio monitors.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just swapped my Audioengine A5 speakers for a pair of M-Audio BX8a studio monitors. I am not using the 0404 USB as a source, but I think this comparison may be helpful for you and others.

The BX8a studio monitors are more flat and detailed than the Audioengines, which would make them very good for monitoring. But for long-term listening (2+ hours) these monitors can be fatiguing, especially with more poor recordings.

I think the average listener would probably prefer the Audioengines because of their good balance between detail, musicality, and smoothness. They are revealing enough to appreciate the details in music, but not so revealing as to give you a headache after 2 hours of listening.

If your budget is only $250, it might be a mistake to go with studio monitors.

I use the a5's with an 0404 usb and think they sound fantastic. I've had the speakers for about a year now and have tried numerous combos from the squeezebox to cheap USB dac's off ebay to just the lineout from my macbook pro.

I think the 0404 sounds the best with the squeezebox a reasonably close 2nd.

The setup sounds better than anything i've heard in the price range and as good or better than most that cost far more.

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the a5's with an 0404 usb and think they sound fantastic. I've had the speakers for about a year now and have tried numerous combos from the squeezebox to cheap USB dac's off ebay to just the lineout from my macbook pro.

I think the 0404 sounds the best with the squeezebox a reasonably close 2nd.

The setup sounds better than anything i've heard in the price range and as good or better than most that cost far more.

I have used the A5's with my 0404 USB in the past, using iTunes playing lossless music files. I was also very impressed with this combination. The built-in headphone amp in the 0404 USB does not reveal how good the DAC section of the 0404 USB is. In order to maximize its potential, you need to use the line out in the back of the unit (either 1/8" mini or 2 x TRS).

The A5 also has a remarkable ability to sound good with low-fi, mid-fi, and hi-fi sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back