Speakers for £200-£300
Mar 7, 2015 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MK47

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of speakers to mainly listen to hip hop music, and after reading many threads and reviews, I have narrowed it down to JBL LSR305 and Adam F5. My budget is around £200-£300, are the JBL's the best value for money? Do you think the Adam F5's are worth the extra money? Also, I have a Tubemagic D1, what cables do I need to hook the speakers up?
Thanks

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Well, this is a headphone forum so it probably isn't the beat place for your question. I have an answer for your cable question though:
If you have the Tubemagic D1 hybrid integrated amplifier, then (gold plated) banana plugs are the way to go. For the cable itself you could use any pure copper speaker cable. I'd take 4 mm^2, but it probably works just as well with 2.5 mm^2. Fancy expensive cables won't make an audible change to the sound unless they deliberately increased the impedance.
If you only have the Tubemagic D1 DAC, get a speaker amplifier first.

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 3
The F5 and LSR305 are considered comparable in class. I'm sure if you google F5 vs LSR305, you can probably find some discussions where people talk about which is better.

However, here is the US, the LSR305 is a good bit cheaper than the F5s. Thus their popularity.

Here's a post about the cables you would need for the LSR305: http://www.head-fi.org/t/723099/connection-question-active-monitors-with-balanced-xlr-and-trs-inputs#post_10634523

Users who are viewing this thread

Back