Speakers doesn't produce good voice quality
May 19, 2007 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

akasixcon

New Head-Fier
I have a home theater speaker(s) and before it was able to produce good hear-able voice/dialogue of a movie. What i mean by this is when actors talk and any conversations on the movie.

Now my problem is everything sounds perfect, besides the talking. I put up the volume to its highest just so I can hear better on the talking, then when the action comes it scares the living **** out of me because the special effects sound level is very high on this 1000-watt surround system.

How do I make it so that the sound levels on the voice is high enough for me to listen to?

Do you think the speakers could be broken? If so then how am I able to hear other sounds besides the voice?

I am going to check the settings because I remember setting it down to high bass and low tremble.

Other than that what other ways can I trouble shoot this?
akasixcon is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

May 19, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 13
Add a EQ in your lineup and bump the mids up or lower the lows and highs.

May 21, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 13
It seems to me that the problem lies either in the center speaker or within the equalizer settings. I was able to listen perfectly fine using VLC Media Player with the settings "2 front and 2 rear". I tried changing the audio settings to 5.1 but had no luck hearing the dialogue but everything else was fine.

What do you think my options are now?

May 21, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Don't try to compensate for it by using an EQ or something like that. Find out why the center channel isn't being mixed in. I think I've heard of people having this problem before but I never looked further into it.

May 22, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 13
I guess the main question is, "Does the center speaker work properly?" Try disabling all of the other speakers on your receiver, if that's possible, or disable as many as you can. If it's just quiet, the receiver should have a channel level adjustment that you could use to increase the volume of the center speaker.

May 22, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 13
There is often a "test" or "tone" feature on the remote for your receiver that will play pure noise through each speaker, one by one, as you press the button. It allows for subjective volume matching on each speaker (raise or lower the volume while the tone is playing for that speaker). If the center channel is dead, find out if it's the speaker or something else by switching the center channel speaker for some other speaker (switch the cables, easier than moving big speakers around!). If it's not the speakers themselves, you'll have to narrow it down to the receiver or player or a loose interconnect or something. Good luck!

May 27, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 13
Perhaps go back to first principles. Check all connections, set everything to flat EQ, and go from there.

Also try connecting your centre speaker to one of the other outputs to check that its OK, and connect one of the speakers that is working to the centre channel connection of the amp. How does it sound. You need to isolate each of the components (sound card channels, amp channels, and speakers) to determine where the problem lies.

As already mentioned, the centre channel and speaker is required to reproduce much of the voice work; without it, speech seems hollow and distant.

1000 watt system. Is that the total output of all channels? That's a lot of juice. I have 70w per channel in a medium sized room and that rocks pretty loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back