Speakers Buyer's Guide
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 37
Can I give you a link to what prices? All I said (I think) is that the primus 150 and 160 are old models - the current models are primus 152 and 162 respectively. Yes, Amazon has a vendor selling a pair of p152s for $80 + shipping, which comes to a bit more than $100.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 37
Ok guys, prices fixed and new models added.
Now a personal question, I have a opportunity to buy speakers from USA. I'm thinking about $200-$300 speakers, I have more money but I have a EMU 0404 usb and AMP4 (from 41hz.com, Tripath TA2050, Output 2x30W @ 8 ohms) and I don't know if I would notice a difference with a more expensive equipment, and I don't know if the amp could drive any speaker.
Anyway, the sale from accessories4less.com with KEF iQ1 at $220 sounds great, if their sound is really at ~$350 price range I think this are the best option.
There is also the P152 sale at $110! Both Paradigm Atom/Titan, Onix XL-S...
Too many options, I think I would feel more confident about a used, but more expensive pair.
Suggested websites for used speakers?
I'm open to suggestions, I love detail, clear sound, fast response and soundstage.
Bookshelf is almost mandatory because of the transportation.
Personal music taste (if matters...) Pink Floyd, Norah Jones, Dream Theater, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, The Knife...

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #18 of 37
Only way to answer would be for someone to have heard them all side by side. I doubt you'll find anyone like that. There are a lot of optons, and among the good ones I suspect it's a matter of which tradeoffs you like best. The P152s are a great deal, but not very pretty. The KEFs look nice. I heard the old XL-S, and I thought it was pretty mediocre. I have not heard the new (and significantly more expensive) version.

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #21 of 37
Axiom added
mr. nice - I can't find info about the ME models outside their website, please write something about a model with the price tag.

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #22 of 37
Revel Concerta f12 - good reviews, i love mine. Retail $1400. now i believe. TVauthority had them for $900. a while back, everyone else was around retail. Floor standing-Kinda large. Great mids. Read the review in stereophile annual product listing, they put it up with others that cost 3-5 times as much.

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #23 of 37
Thanks for the info, added.
I'm pleased to inform that I just brought my first pair of audiophile speakers!
Some used NSM 15 for $300.

I hope they are as good as the website claims, I haven't found any review of this specific model.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #24 of 37
I purchased Kef Q10s many years ago... I added better cables over the years and still find them fine sounding.

Klipsch with high quality amps are phenomenal!

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #26 of 37
A note on the AV123 Strata Mini's power requirments. I've owned a pair for nearly one year and drive them with a 30 watt Pass amp to high levels. They don't need a lot of power to make them sing, just good power.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #27 of 37
I don't have anything to compare them to, but here are my impressions of the Audioengine 5. There are no apparent weaknesses - the bass, mids and highs are all very good and well balanced. I'd say the sound leans very slightly towards 'cold' as opposed to 'warm'. Decent soundstage.

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #29 of 37
Apr 10, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #30 of 37
What's posted so far is a rather small sampling of speaker producers. Here's a few more:

Dynaudio
PSB
Sonus Faber
Wharfedale
Spendor

etc...

When buying 500$+ speakers, a good research is definitely recommended. It's not as simple as having someone recommend "the best one". Speakers must 1.) fit your bank account, 2.) your taste in music and 3.) your audio system in terms of synergy.

Some combinations are known to work well, like Rotel amps + Wharfedale speakers (budget combination) or Simaudio amps + Dynaudio speakers (high end combinations). Such examples of synergy are what you should be looking for when deciding what to try and buy.

Btw, head-fi is not the right place to find solid opinions on speaker based systems. Check out audio asylum and audiogon forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back