Speakers Buyer's Guide
Mar 17, 2008 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

mencargo

Head-Fier
I'm no expert so feel free to correct me or give any suggestions.
Please write recommendations for currently available or very popular old speakers with:
Price, if discount is often founded, write an average price.
A "N/A" aside the price tag means it's a discontinued model.
Size: B - Bookshelf / F - Floorstanding
Write about Strengths and Weaknesses.
State A - Active / P - Passive and special power needs if apply.
(I'm considering "normal" a 10-100W range, Specify special needs: very effective for less than 30W or power hungry that needs more than 50W to be driven)
Type of amplification recommended

Under $150
A:B ($100) Swan M10 2.1 - Also called swans and Hivi
P:B ($70) Polk R150 - Good midrange, nice treble, not much bass
P:B ($110) Infinity Primus P152 - Clean midbass and Upper bass
P:B ($110) Polk Audio R15 - Warm Mids, Silky Smooth Slightly Bright Treble, Doesn't have very deep bass
P:B ($120) Fluance SX-6 - Definition and layering in the sound is excellent and they sound great from all angles
P:B ($140 - N/A) Infinity Primus 160 - Very detailed stereo image, crisp sound without being too bright
P:B ($140) NHT SuperZero XU - Small size, accurate treble and midrange, attractive glossy finish. Not much bass response

Between $150-$250
A:B ($200) Audio Engine A2
P:B ($190) Paradigm Atom - Warm, rich midrange, not very detailed and not very extended highs
P:F ($190) Polk R50 - Overall natural and neutral tonal balance. Tight, extended bass, respectable midrange detail
P:B ($195) Onix(AV123) X-LS - Very clean playback, well-balanced frequency response, stable soundstage, value
P:B ($200) B&W DM303 - Tight clean bass, excellent vocals, dynamic details
P:B ($210) Infinity Primus P162
P:B ($220) KEF iQ1 - Clear detailed highs without being excessively bright. Bass is very clean. Great natural timbre. Very Neutral.
P:B ($220) Paradigm Titan - Exceptional clarity, inner detailing and tonal accuracy. Outstanding low level resolution of fine details. Nice big soundstage. Easy to drive.
P:B ($230) Athena AS-B2 - Overall transparency and tight bass

Between $250-$500
A:B ($350) AudioEngine A5
P:B ($275) Epos ELS-3 - Very balanced and detailed, great soundstage
P:B ($280) NHT SB-1 - Amazing soundstage, crystal clear highs and mids. Needs a good subwoofer.
P:B ($300) PSB B25 - The midrange is very liquid and the soundstage quite pronounced. Tweets with a lot of detail without being tizzy
P:B ($320) Monitor Audio Bronze 2 - Balanced, great stereo imaging, very detailed but smooth polished hights, clear midrange, punchy and fast bass.
P:B ($330) Axiom M3 v2 - Very detailed
P:B ($340) Paradigm Mini Monitor - Ruler flat frequency response, very clear and detailed sound
P:B ($350 - N/A) B&W DM600 S3 - Treble, highly efficient, good bass, not great in big rooms, need expensive one column stands.
P:B ($350) Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 - Very good overall, neutral, very efficient
P:B ($360) Ascend CBM-170 - Excellent sound reproduction, great value, transparent sound. Surprising bass
P:F ($470) Axiom M22 - Clairty, very neutral, imaging, enveloping
P:B ($450) Swan 2.1 - Very pleasant sound, good soundstage, very well constructed
P:B ($480) B&W 686
P:B ($500) Klipsch Forte - Very balanced, lovely vocals, both male and female, excellent detail on all music

Between $500-$1,000
P:B ($550) Klipsch Cornwall - A sound stage like you have never heard
P:F ($630) Paradigm Monitor 7 - Exquisite detail, excellent soundstage. They need a warm up period, and even then, a lot of people will feel they are too 'bright'
P:B ($650) B&W 685- Replaced the old 602. Nice all-around performance; the new nautilus tweeter really brings out the treble excellently and the soundstage is nice.
P:F ($1,000 - N/A) B&W DM603 S3 - Clarity, exact bass, image, soundstage

Above $1,000
P:F ($1,100) B&W 684 - Preferred the 685s.
P:B ($1,200) Yamaha NS-1000 - Unbelievably transparent, awesome sound stage. The woofer is light and incredibly responsive, the beryllium midrange throws out sound as if you are really there, and the beryllium tweeter dazzles you with highs
P:F ($1,300) Revel Concerta f12 - Great mids, great value.
P:F ($1,500) B&W 683 - Amazing.
P:F ($1,700) Klipsch RF-7 - Powerful bass, astonishing detail, excellent soundstage , exceptional sensitivity rating of 102 db /1w/m
P:F ($1,800) Onix(AV123) Strata Mini - Range: top to bottom, coherence, accurate but musical, unbelievable price for this quality. Long break in and power hungry
P:F ($4,600) AAD 2003 - Phenomenal imaging, transparency from tweeter, great low-end response, well-balanced sound; Covers the full spectrum of 2 channel audio, plenty dynamic

I joined this community when I decided to spend some money on audio, so now I own an E-MU 0404 USB interface (just for the DAC) and AudioTechnica ATH-A900 cans, great sound, I even got the cans from this forum sales/trade section!
Thanks guys.
Now after spending $321 in this gear and enjoying my headphones, my computer speakers are not enough.
In my search for budget speakers system I saw some posts here and as with my cans, I would like to start a speakers buyer's guide because this headphone guide was VERY helpful for me, I'll search mostly for limited budget systems but all are welcome, if the list grows I'll try to classify them with more terms.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 37
Your B&W listings are all out of date. The lineup was replaced 6-8 months ago:

686 ($480) -Size of the DM600, but more of a 601 replacement. Most of your 600 review still applies.

685 ($650) - Replaced the old 602. Nice all-around performance; the new nautilus tweeter really brings out the treble excellently and the soundstage is nice for its size.

684 ($1100) - Intro-level tower. When I demoed it vs. the 685 I was unimpressed and preferred the 685s.

683 ($1500) - Floorstander. I was amazed when I demoed it but didn't take enough notes to write a good review here.

Also, the 300 line is gone.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 37
Thank you very much, I'll add them, I have been told that B&W are very popular, and this guide is intended to buyers, so popular old speakers should be available at sales and previous owners, I'll put a discontinued tag for them, but keep them as reference.
By the way, some old B&W are still available here in Mexico.

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 37
I don't know much about them, please recommend specific models.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 37
My entry into speakers was only a few months ago... I've picked up a pair of Onix Strata Mini's from AV123.com. They seem to have excellent quality on the dollar over there. These floorstanders just sound magnificent.

AV123.com - Strata Mini Loudspeaker

Yikes, look at that price ($1,995) ... They were significantly less when I got them during a promotion.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 37
Any of the used Thiel models in your price range are well worth the money. However they require big amounts of clean power.

Mar 18, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by F155mph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let just say those speakers cost as much as a house depending on location.

Haha true. Well, they have some bookshelves called the x-ls that are supposed to be really fantastic for the money. Historically, they've been priced at something like $180 /pr during a promotion...

AV123.com - x-ls encore Monitor Loudspeaker

I think they have a lot of stuff for a lot of price ranges. From what I've heard, their stuff is great quality for the money!

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 37
The primus 150s and 160s are old models. The new 152s and 162 are readily available at lower prices than you've listed. Also, the 142 is similar (smaller and less bass). I just ordered a pair of 142s, so I can report on the sound after they arrive.

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 37
Thanks for the support guys, I'll add those speakers.
thread: I have some doubts, the website it's called AV123, but when I search for reviews I only found them as ONIX
classicalguy: Can you give me a link to those prices? I just found them at $80 (per pair) at amazon (P152)
And as I said earlier, as this is a buyer's guide, I'll keep old popular models as reference for people that want to buy used items.
rocdoc: The KEF iQ1 are listed, maybe you searched for them at a ~$320 price range, but they are available at a much lower price from:
Accessories4Less
tom hankins: Please make some reference or give link for the Thiel models, I don't know about them.

I'll add "N/A" with the price tag for those discontinued.
Thanks a lot guys.

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 37
I believe AV123 is their website/company name, while Onix is the brand name or name for the products. They do not advertise and they do not have retail outlets (internet/phone orders only).

Again, they are said to have great bang/buck ratio. Check out a few reviews...

Onix x-ls Bookshelf Loudspeaker Review — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News
AV123 x-ls Bookshelf Speakers Review: Powered by ConsumerGuide and HowStuffWorks
GoodSound! "Equipment" Archives

I am no expert, but I am supremely satisfied with my Strata Mini floorstanders. At ~$2000, they can sound like $6000 speakers, one reviewer even said. And if I wasn't crazy and working a decent job, I very well may have picked up a pair x-ls's with a sub. It's easy to add another pair + the x-cs, too, if you decide to go for 5.1. Here's the x-series:

AV123.com - x-series

Edit: Oh, and I was able to get some concessions on their end even during a promotion merely by asking... FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back