Speakers (active) make a "screeching" noise when turned off, didn't happen before
Aug 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vitor Machado

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I have these active speakers (Edfier R1600T Plus), and until yesterday everything was normal. When turned off, they make that usual "thump" sound due to the amp discharging, which is fine.
But since yesterday, it's also making this brief "screeching" noise, unless I turn the volume knob all the way down before turning it off (still does the thump btw). It doesn't matter if the input is connected or not.

It still sounds fine, just like before, but I wonder what could be causing this new behavior all of a sudden?
confused.gif

The amp is based on a TDA2050, if that matters...

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 3
Sounds like a cap is discharging.  Something may be damaged, but it is always a good idea to lower the volume if not completely attenuate it prior to switching off any amplifier.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 3
When I turned it off yesterday the noise was almost completely gone again (just very very faint).
confused.gif

I'll keep an eye and post back if necessary, thanks.
Quote:
but it is always a good idea to lower the volume if not completely attenuate it prior to switching off any amplifier.

Yeah I know, but sometimes I forget, so I figured I wouldn't even bother anymore.
tongue.gif

It doesn't sound like it's nearly loud enough to damage the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back