Speaker Wire
Aug 24, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 14
I can't believe he can charge that much for speaker wire! It must be really good stuff!!! Eh, if I was, I'd get some cheap stuff. There's no way it can make that much of a difference.

Aug 24, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 14
And here I just spent $190 on some lowly Kimbers. I am not worthy.

Bob, how about you take first blood and write a review.
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
I can't believe he can charge that much for speaker wire! It must be really good stuff!!! Eh, if I was, I'd get some cheap stuff. There's no way it can make that much of a difference.

It depends on which "cheap stuff" you're talking about. If the "cheap stuff" really is extremely thin, 24-gauge speaker wire, then you'll be strangling the speakers' capabilities: Output will be weak, grainy, muffled, harsh and distorted all at once, even at moderate volume levels. On the other hand, if the "cheap stuff" is generic 16-gauge or 14-gauge wire, then the differences between the "cheap stuff" and the esoteric cable are far less clear: Sure, the expensive stuff may sound "better" - but not even two times better, let alone thousands of times better - yet the expensive stuff may cost thousands of times more $$$ than the perfectly fine cheap 14-to-16-gauge stuff.

Aug 24, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Anybody every try this? Seems like a good deal...

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...pkr&1065881305

A nice wire.
G5 line of Siltech actually for the first time, does not sound slow. With warm and natural house sound still intact these added pretty good pacing.

Dunno about *good * deal, as with all cables, your ears and system need to decide.
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 14
And what about the 2.9% Paypal fee? Of 25,500 is about 739.5 just with this alone, you can get an ultraexpensive champ speaker cable, enough ot satisfy some of the best ears .... LOL
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 14
Eh, if I had to replace the stock speaker wire that came with my PM4.1's (20 AWG), I'd just make my own wire. First, some wire:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/detail.as...uct_id=KLE16BL

16 AWG. It's an improvement that will still fit in the clips. Then I'd get some gold 1/8" phono plugs from radio shack, measure twice, cut once, solder, tin the ends. Voila. I'm done and I can guarantee it'll be a lot cheaper than monster cable.

Aug 25, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 14
I got a Carol Command, OFC silver plated studio quality cable from Parts Express, some time ago, I think they now ran out of it, for very cheap, not 20 cents, but relatively cheap, and it was a nice improvement over the megacable from ratshack and monster and the like, IIRC was 12 AWG, very nice indeed, a shame they do not carry it anymore, I just solder four monster bananas and voila!!!!....

Aug 27, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by viviorunitia4
did anyone notice that the shipping weight is 28 lbs. ? How could a wire weigh that much

Proably the sheilding used on the wire inside. Plus Siltech comes with a *nice* box (albeit not as ostentatious as Valhalla wooden box )
rolleyes.gif

This one weighs around 60lbs. total.
black%20label1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back