speaker upgrade?
Dec 25, 2005 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

star882

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a MFX 450 amp/DAC unit connected to some bundled "desktop" speakers. The sound quality is OK and the speakers don't take up much space, but now that I rearranged my room and have more space, I'm considering an upgrade.
There are some polkaudio floor speakers for sale at Fry's tomorrow. The specs I could find on the ad are 6" woofer, 3/4" silk/polymer tweeter, and 20-150w per channel. They are $40 each when purchased in a pair.
Are they worth it for an upgrade?

There's also a 10" subwoofer for $20, but based on the picture, it seems to be a replacement part and not a whole subwoofer.

Dec 25, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 3
$40 each is a pretty good deal. I can't believe I splurged $350 on a pair of B&W DM600 S3 for myself this Christmas
icon10.gif
. They sound great and are much different from my HD600s. I think I'm going to use my speakers more than my headphones now. Kind of like the idea of having music being fired in front of you instead of straight into your ears.

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 3
The Polk R30 at $80 are a great deal. They look decent and have decent bass given the room and the placement. Midrange is fine. Imaging is hazy but there are no glaring flaws. Most products under $1000 aren't outstanding overall anyway, so you could make this last until your budget grows accordingly. I use a pair for my ht and have no serious urge to upgrade because I'm not willing to spend what is required to beat these speakers in a significant fashion.

They do need room, and I would be hard pressed to use them for my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back