Speaker Upgrade Help
Oct 8, 2011 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sploosh67

New Head-Fier
So currently I'm running some Harman/Kardon Soundsticks II on my laptop. In the near future, I'll have an Aune Mini usb DAC. I'll also be making electronic music with these. I'd like to have both the speaker and headphone option as I'll be getting some headphones as well. I'm not sure how much speakers are going cost, but I'd say something like $100-$250. I doubt the Soundsticks are up to par and I don't know where to look. This is all going on my laptop for now, but I'm sure some cable converters are possible to obtain. Bass of course is nice, but I guess I'm looking for a clear, somewhat acceptable for music production, introductory setup. Thanks :)

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 15
Actually looking at your source (lappie) and having both speakers and cans in the mix have you looked up the new Fiio E10 USB DAC/Headphone Amp? Seems like the way to go for me hehe Perhaps a Dayton DTA-100A amp and Polk Monitor 30/40 II, Infinity Primus P162, etc?

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 15
Music production?
You might have a look at what the pro world is using.
This is active speakers almost all of the time.
Have a look at brands like ADAM, Genelec, KRK, etc.
Yes, it will stretch your budget but it will deliver transparency in return.
Maybe something like the ADAM ARTist 3 is a good starter
http://www.audiostream.com/content/adam-professional-audio-artist-3

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 15

Checked out the ADAM Artist, and thought it was really cool. However, I don't have $1,000 to spend. Or so the places I looked up sold them for that much. As for the USB DAC, why would the Aune no suffice? Why should I purchase, say the E10? It's not even out yet if that is correct. If it was/is, how much would it be? But the Primus series looks good save for a subwoofer I would have to buy to get that bass. Which shouldn't be a problem seeing as the highest model peeks at $87. Would I have to buy 2 of them?

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 15
Oct 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Would I need to buy two of them?

Yes you would. And I was looking at the dac you mentioned getting, hooking that up to the CX5s is about as easy as it gets. DAC>RCA cables>Speakers

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 15
If I were to purchase the M-Audio CX5's, would I also need to obtain a subwoofer or can they pump out a hefty enough and pleasing bass for someone who's going to be searching for it? The reviews I've read haven't answered that question.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 15
How much bass are you really looking for? If you're looking for earth rattling bass, then yes, you will need a sub. I haven't measured to see how low they go, but they do a good enough job for me. I listen to mostly hip-hop too. And I also used to own a car that had a stereo that hit over 140 db on the mic at competitions. 

Edit: Just turned on a song from Bass Mekanik, my dad, me and my brother are in agreement that to start off, no, you don't need a sub, that they hit pretty hard for a 5" woofer. 

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 15
Meeeeeeh, $400 is pushing it. I'm really happy with what I'm reading about the CX5's especially since I've never been introduced to something of that high quality sound. And sounds good about the sub. Definitely saves money. Also, that's super legit that you used to enter those car competitions. And that you got your dad and bro to get their opinion/agreement XD hopefully in the future, I'll be able to upgrade the speakers in my Subaru Outback. Or a tuned Subaru WRX.....man it's good to dream XDD but a nice audio system isn't going into that car until it can kill road competition and has DeLorean doors. You know, priorities ;D

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Meeeeeeh, $400 is pushing it. I'm really happy with what I'm reading about the CX5's especially since I've never been introduced to something of that high quality sound. And sounds good about the sub. Definitely saves money. Also, that's super legit that you used to enter those car competitions. And that you got your dad and bro to get their opinion/agreement XD hopefully in the future, I'll be able to upgrade the speakers in my Subaru Outback. Or a tuned Subaru WRX.....man it's good to dream XDD but a nice audio system isn't going into that car until it can kill road competition and has DeLorean doors. You know, priorities ;D

Yeah, that was in my younger days. I loved how loud that car was. And yeah, I love my CX5s. I really couldn't be happier with them, and I got them when they were still $600/pair. I still think they were worth it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back