Speaker upgrade for Megaworks
Mar 15, 2004 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

insomniac

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have a Megaworks 250D (aka Cambridge Soundworks 210D).

I was thinking about ugrading the satellites with some NHT SuperZero's. Good idea? Bad idea? Any comments?

Mar 15, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 26
I wouldn't recommend it because the NHTs are sealed, which makes them pretty inefficient. Try to find a more sensitive satellite?

Mar 15, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 26
Just about anything will be an upgrade, so go listen and buy
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 26
He's planning on using the built in amp in the cambridge subwoofer to power the new speakers.

Mar 15, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 26
Kinda hard to find your speakers, though, Snake
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 26
Getting those exact speakers wasn't my point - sorry about the confusion.

The Celestion 1's are rather low efficency but the amp drives them quite nicely indeed (OK, not ear-bleed neighbors calling the police levels, but loud enough to say "holy #%@*!" and reach to lower the volume - quick!). The other thing I wanted to bring attention to was the slight mod I just did Saturday - what a difference.

Actually, a lower efficency sat worked well. I was at about 45% gain on the woofer before mod, now at about 65% (and much happier)

Mar 15, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 26
Yeah I was planning to drive them via the amp in the Megaworks. So the NHT are hard to drive? Bummer.

I liked them because they were small. The Celestions are a bit bigger, no?

Snake, do you use the digital input on the Megaworks by any chance? Is the DAC any good?

Mar 15, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 26
Mods are always interesting. Mind sharing what you did?

Mar 15, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by insomniac
Yeah I was planning to drive them via the amp in the Megaworks. So the NHT are hard to drive? Bummer.

No, no. I'm telling you that the Celestions are very low efficency (I believe around 83db, I'll check the downloaded specs when I get home) and the amp in the Cambridge has absolutely no problem at all driving them to room-filling sound levels. The space they face is 14 x 14, while the entire air space is 28 x 14. AFAIK I've peaked over 94db. It has never failed to give me what I'm looking for.

The SuperZeros are at 85db and Stereophile says they represent a stable load for an amp ( http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeak...04/index9.html ) so based upon my hands-on experience they should rock.
Quote:

Snake, do you use the digital input on the Megaworks by any chance? Is the DAC any good?

I'm sorry, but I've never tested the DAC input. It is not SP/DIF, it is only compatible with Creative SoundBlaster cards only.

Mar 15, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
Mods are always interesting. Mind sharing what you did?

Changed the loading on the sub. (Unless it's only my install) the sub has a box resonance which Saturday, for some reason, *really* got on my nerves. Went out, got some polyfill and experimented with loading the driver. The sub cabinet actually has no, not a bit, of fill inside. I added about, maybe, 1 & 1/4 ounces of poly. The sub sounds so different, so musical, it's hard to believe that sound was locked inside that little sub. I know I have a hard install but the difference is, maybe, the biggest one I've ever heard. I'll be testing wall acoustic treatments the next few nights, if I can.

Mar 15, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 26
Interesting. If you have the first Lord of the Rings DVD, I think you can really hear that resonance when the human king cuts off the finger of sauron. That may be a good test...

Mar 15, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 26
I see... Thanks, Snake. I'm really tempted to try now. The piano lacquer finish of the Superzero's would look great on my desk...

I'm actually using the digital input on my Megaworks right now. Works fine with my Revo 7.1, FYI. Trying to decide whether the Revo DAC or the Megaworks DAC is better.

Mar 16, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back