Speaker time. $300 price range, for desktop PC
Mar 7, 2015 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

PinkyPowers

Reviewer: The Headphone List
It's already been a wild, rewarding journey with you fine folk. Got myself the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus, with the upgraded Tube and Opamp, running Optical-out of the PC. A pair of Sennheiser HD600s, which are just outstanding.

Now I desire to replace my Logitech Z-2300 2.1 system.

They needn't be large. I have a very small room to fill, and to be honest, I only ever sit right in front of them. So, again, they don't need to put out a great deal of volume. I am far more interested in quality, not quantity. I lust for a sound to juice the thighs.

I'll be running either Tube-out or SolidState-out from the D1. So, I imagine they'll need to be powered.

This is my PC setup, so they are used for everything under the sun: music, TV, movies, games, etc... I do so love the Z-2300's sub-woofer. I should very much like to keep as much of that bass in the upgrade. It's in the mid and high ranges that they lack.

I'm looking around the $300 range, but that is flexible, if need be. It all depends on what I'm getting out of it.

This is my desktop currently.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 56
The D1 is working out well? Great :)

Bigger speakers are better. It's not just about volume. Smaller speakers are more challenged in their ability to produce midbass--they typically just don't go as low.

With your budget, for powered monitors, I would recommend looking into the JBL LSR305 or Emotiva Airmotiv 4S. You might also consider Wave Crest Audio HVL-1s or EMP Tek R5Bi passive speakers and then use a t-amp to power them.

Add a sub later if you feel you need it. If you think you might want a sub, there is an advantage in going with the passive speakers.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 56
I have heard the JBL LSR305 mentioned a few times here. They do look quite good.

How do you adjust the volume? There doesn't seem to be a nob for it.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 56
Hi.  These are $499 passive speakers, but worth looking at.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-107091-wharfedale-denton-limited-edition-80th-anniversary-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx?source=igodigital&

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 56
Use your computer volume or your pre-amp on the D1. Most studio monitors are designed to be used that way. The volume on the back of the speakers is just for setting them up to begin with and getting them balanced right to left.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 56
So I can adjust the volume on my computer and the D1 will adjust the levels of its preamp output? That's cool.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 56
  So I can adjust the volume on my computer and the D1 will adjust the levels of its preamp output? That's cool.

Chances are your going to use the volume knob on the external DAC (D1) to adjust volume (At least that is what I do).

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 56
Mother ********!

I was told the volume control on the D1 would not affect the preamp lines. It was only for the headhpones. But I just tried, and it controlled my Z-2300 perfectly.

Well... that simplifies everything.
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 56
Yes. By definition "pre-out" means it's running through the pre-amp, and the most basic preamp feature is volume control. In the case of the D1, the tube is in the pre-amp, so you are getting the tube sound added. To bypass the pre-amp, you use the "normal" analog outs on the back.

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 56
Mine doesn't have that button. The D1 does, but not the D1 Plus. Don't know why.

Doesn't matter much. I want the volume to control the preamp output. :)

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 56
A friend of mine has a pair of Audioengine A2s and he's been very happy.  I've read that the A5s are even better, but I've never hear them, nor do I know anyone who has them.  The A5s can be had for very close to your budget.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-130876-audioengine-a543-powered-bookshelf-speakers-black-demo.aspx

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 56
Oh, those A5+ do seem very nice.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 56
But the Airmotiv 4S might be more what I'm looking for. Nice and tiny, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back