Speaker system
Dec 27, 2010 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BaudlyDamage

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there guys, 

I need speakers, simple as that.

Im looking for the best i can get for the money i have (around 150$) 

I also need an amp which is cheap but good

Im going to be using the special PS1 as my source so i want some components which wont ruin the fabled quality it produces, if thats possible.

A friend of mine has a set of Sound Dynamics RTS-1s he can sell me for 70$. does anyone know if they are worth it? 

Thanks and i hope to hear some advice soon!

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 8
$150 gives you plenty of options, but I would add both the paradigm atom and mini-monitors to your list if there is a dealer nearby where you can give them a listen.  Great little cdn company that gives good value for the buck.

I also agree with the previous poster, almost every one of the 40+ speakers in my growing collection (yeah, my wife thinks I'm nuts) has been acquired used.

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Used is defiantly the way to go but Vermont craigslist is barren O _ O

No, you just have to look carefully:
http://burlington.craigslist.org/ele/2104564618.html

Offer the guy $50 - that's a fair price. $175 is just insane though.  My dad's got a pair; they sound pretty good - great for the price.  They're the little brothers of the widely hailed Monitor 7 speakers (which we both have).  Replacement parts are easy to find if they ever need 'em.

That leaves you $100 to find an amp - a very reasonable budget.  You could look at used receivers, integrated amps, or amps (with gain controls if you don't otherwise have them on your DAC) - or perhaps a new T-amp.  There's a lot of choices out there, although personally I would shy away from '70s vintage or older receivers that haven't been serviced - unless it's a Marantz, McIntosh, or similar at a good price.  '80s and '90s solid state gear is generally very reliable in comparison, with much newer capacitors and better. cleaner pots.  NAD, Carver, and Adcom would be my personal value favorites.

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 8
Wow, thanks for putting so much time into this! 

Those speakers are quite large though : (.  I should have specified before that I'm looking for something in a manageable size, desktop speaking. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Well, I should've mentioned that I had these on my desk for a while:

I've got different standards, though...

You could fit those Polks an a desk if you've got a big enough one, but I can understand if you can't.  I was going to buy them off my dad for that reason, but mine has a shelf that essentially limits me to 20" tall speakers.  Those Klipsches (KG 2) are a whole lot bigger, but just short enough to fit.

Used quality bookshelf speakers are a bit harder to find than floorstanders, especially on Craigslist.

I'd probably go with M-Audio AV 40 powered monitors from Amazon (or Guitar Center) then - they're right at your $150 budget.

I would say though that thread would probably have been better off in the computer audio forum if that is your intended use for these.  At least then we would've had an idea of what you were looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back