Speaker system - volume issue
Dec 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bandeira

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All, 

First of all, thank you for reading this.

I've got the following setup:

PC ==USB Cable ==> Audio GD Fun == DAC OUT == Phono Cable ==> Onkyo A-9010 AMP ==> Wharfedale Diamond 220s

Last weekend out of the blue I'm getting these swings in volume, sometimes it's normal for a second, then quiet for a second, then like that for like 5 minutes. Sometimes it takes a step down and stays there. The volume difference is not subtle, it's quite noticeable.

This seems to have started happening without any change in hardware or software from my side.

I'm trying to understand where it is coming from (i.e if it's from the AMP, it's ok, it's on warranty).

A few facts:

- They seem to step down both L and R channels
- My sources are mostly Spotify and Foobar (via Wasapi) and it happens on both. It happens also on youtube (as once it started happening and then I quickly changed to youtube to check)
- It doesn't seem to be related to when I am doing anything specific on the PC
- It never does from the start, it's always after at least 30 minutes after the system is powered up
- If I go oun 'playback devices' I can see a green bar up and down as something is played. This doesn't seem to be affected by the 'loudness' state. So I am thinking this is coming from somewhere downstream of the PC

I've googled the issue and I tried the following
- disabling enhancements
- disabling communications volume control
- unninstalling Realtek Audio
- different USB cable

Unfortunately I haven't got any redundant components, so I can swap (i.e try another DAC to see if it still does it)

Please help! :)

thanks

Patrick

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 6
does you pc not have any on-board audio capabilities?  

ideally I think if you have a 3.5mm to RCA cable.. you should try using your on-board audio / you smart phone (some other source besides the computer).   Also maybe try a different input on the amp.

if you don't have the 3.5mm to RCA cable.. you might want to get one ... they are cheap enough (online) and possibly even another RCA (phono) cable.

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 6
 good point - I've got one lying around somewhere. Next time it does it, I'll plug it in

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 6
   good point - I've got one lying around somewhere. Next time it does it, I'll plug it in

kewl... ya give that a go and let us know how the works out?   .. also the amp may have dirty volume / bass / treble /bal.......pots..

if the amp wasn't under warranty I'd suggest popping the cover off and cleaning the pots with some Deoxit Faderlube F5... I'm a fan of vintage stereo gear and when these pots get dirty you can see stuff like this..

since it is under warranty.....  What I might do.. is turn amp off.. and then manually sweep all the knobs left / right 20~ or so times to try to clear and dirt that has possibly got on them.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 6
It started doing it, so I plugged the phone in -  but it was hard to judge... Listening to it with the phone only for the next few days to see if it does it...
So far it's done it every day since saturday  -  Will keep posted

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 6
  it's the AMP... it started doing it, so I plugged the phone in and and it continued doing it :/
off the the shop this weekend... Bummer it's only like 3 months old

well bummer.. at least it is under warranty..  hopefully they get it sorted for you..   if you want something to keep you going till it gets back from service (assuming you don't have a back up amp already).    You might look at the little t-amps  I have a SMSL SA-S3 it actually is pretty decent sounding, as long as you don't try to host a house party with it, it was about $50~

alternately depending on your luck / location .. you might be able to pick up a 2nd hand stereo receiver / amp at a 2nd hand shop..  right now I'm listening to this Kenwood KR-V106 w/ Monitor Audio Silver S1's that I got 2nd hand $20 for the amp and $11~ for the speakers..

I absolutely love this thing... the apex of 80's greatness .. ALL BUTTONS NOOO KNOBS at all.. 100WPC nice warm receiver .. i actually use this w/ my DT880's it is nice because it is a touch warm helps mellow the highs on the 880's a bit.

edit oh yeah for added awesome I can control this receiver w/ my harmony remote... (orig remote was not present..) but the harmony does great with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back