Speaker system underway! (pics)
Jun 4, 2005 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

tom hankins

Headphoneus Supremus
Well it won't be long before I have the beautiful sound of speakers again. I have (thanks to my wonderful girlfriend) a designated 14'X20' foot basement room that will have dedicated 2X20amp and 1X30 amp lines and have nothing but audio going on in it. I have ordered another pr. of the www.Legacy-audio.com speakers (Signature III in rosewood) and just got back from picking up a new pr. of Parasound Halo JC-1 mono amps. Source will be the Audio Aero. I am soooo stoked about getting another speaker system going after almost 3 years of headphone only use. Eventually we will have both 2 channel and 5.1 for SACD and DVDA, and movies. Demoed some rooms at the shop and was blown away at both the sound and picture quality of the home theatre. I'll post as the room progresses, and when the speakers get here.

1562175ParasoundHaloJC-1monobl6050009.jpg

One of the two amps, unpacked...
1562176ParasoundHaloJC-1monobl6050002.jpg

1562177ParasoundHaloJC-1monobl6050006.jpg

Front of the new Legacy speaker!
1636693Legacyspeakersbday8050005.jpg

Back of the new Legacy speaker
1636691Legacyspeakersbday8050003.jpg

There is also a down firing 10" woofer besides the front and rear ones.

Jun 4, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 36
I'm hoping this thread will be the home to many drool-worthy pictures as your work progresses? I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I can't wait until the day when I can assemble a nice 2.1 or 5.1 setup in my livingroom. First, I have to graduate college first and get a job
rolleyes.gif

Looking nice so far Tom, your dog looks pumped and as eager as you!

Jun 4, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 36
Sounds like a fun project. My wife wants to banish me to the basement with all my audio gear. So far I have resisted. Let us know how it sounds once assembled.

Jun 4, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
Sounds like a fun project. My wife wants to banish me to the basement with all my audio gear. So far I have resisted. Let us know how it sounds once assembled.

You should take her up on it!
icon10.gif
Thats the beauty of the basement.
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 36
one of my best friends has legacy speakers, or his dad. He said that they are $40k, he has them in a 6.0 setup, 2 front, 2 side, and 2 far back. the 2 front are like 6 feet tall with built in subwoofers. He is thinking of selling them and replacing them with some new legacies

Jun 4, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 36
Real Nice Tom!

As much as I like headphones I’m dreaming of the day I can put together a real 2-channel system.

Your own “Man Cave”- Lucky Dog.

Please keep the pictures and updates coming.

How much do those amps weigh? They look solid.

Mitch

Jun 4, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 36
Bravo on the speaker choice! I'm sure the parasound's are good too, though I have very limited experience with their stuff. Basements are amazing sound rooms, and much easier to sound control (and light control as well for HT).

Looking forward to more pictures! Good luck, and congratulations!

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jun 5, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Your own “Man Cave”- Lucky Dog.

Speaking of dog, look at the first pic - That pup looks like it's trying to scope out the best corner to mark its territory...

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Well it won't be long before I have the beautiful sound of speakers again. I have (thanks to my wonderful girlfriend) a designated 14'X20' foot basement room that will have dedicated 2X20amp and 1X30 amp lines and have nothing but audio going on in it. I have ordered another pr. of the www.Legacy-audio.com speakers (Signature III in rosewood) and just got back from picking up a new pr. of Parasound Halo JC-1 mono amps. Source will be the Audio Aero. I am soooo stoked about getting another speaker system going after almost 3 years of headphone only use. Eventually we will have both 2 channel and 5.1 for SACD and DVDA, and movies. Demoed some rooms at the shop and was blown away at both the sound and picture quality of the home theatre. I'll post as the room progresses, and when the speakers get here.

Good choice on the speakers. I have had Signature IIIs for over 6 years and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I actually called Legacy earlier this week and they have not changed the design since 1997. It tells you when you have a great product you don't need to continually change.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 36
Tom,
Great to hear man. Those amps are massive!

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict
Good choice on the speakers. I have had Signature IIIs for over 6 years and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I actually called Legacy earlier this week and they have not changed the design since 1997. It tells you when you have a great product you don't need to continually change.

I have not heard the Sigs at all, but based my purchase on owning both the Legacy Classics, and Focus speakers in my last two speaker systems. I'm wondering how the closed boxes are going to compare to the ported enclosures on the other two models I have owned. I really wanted to go with the Focus again but the size of the room just wouldnt handle them.
I listened to a bunch of speakers. The final few that I had liked were the
PSB T8 platinum
Soliloquy 6.5
Totem wind
Maggie 3.6
Von Schweikert VR4
Of these I really could not find any that I thought were anywhere near as nice as the Legacy Focus. And only a couple pr. that could equal or better even the Classics. I decided to stay in the Legacy family.

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #15 of 36
It's been awhile since I have heard the Focus since Legacy moved their operations to PA after being purchased by Allen Organ Company. With the three woofer design, I think it makes up leaving out any port.

My biggest complaint are the feet. The plastic rail with relative cheap spikes just don't fit this quality of speaker. That was why I actually called them to see if there had been any change in that portion of the design. With the down firing woofer I was hoping that had improved that portion of the design.

In any event, the sound is very full and the ribbon tweeter does a great job on the upper extension.

Don't forget the pictures as your listening room comes together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back