Speaker stands... Non-sense or science?
Jul 10, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #16 of 23
  Have you taken a look at the accessories Neumann K&H offer for pairing with the KH120?

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neumann-kh/home_en.nsf/root/prof-monitoring_studio-monitors_nearfield-monitors_KH120A#

Click on the accessories tab on the right under Information.

The LH65 table stands are very highly regarded. Almost a vital purchase. I like the ceiling drop option too. Less clutter.

ed: rd added info

I did have a look at LH65. I wasn't sure about the height and the benefits of hanging them in the stands using the screws at the back. Thanks for the info. I'll read a bit more before i decide.

Edit: LH65 is a desktop stand. Theoretically, Isoacoustics stand is cheaper than that for the same functionality.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #17 of 23
Not really.

The top Isoacoutics model offers 2 heights and 3 small angles. Max 9 inches.

The Neumann stands are infinitely adjustable in all three dimensions. Max over 20 inches. So you can even angle them down if you want.

And as virtually all posters in this thread have stated. It's the height and angle that really matters.

They are dear if you don't get them as a bundle with the speakers. It's genuine pro gear though.

Incidentally  I used to use a pair of Gale desktop stands. Which were fine. But now I have a set of those cheap adjustable studio floorstands positioned directly  behind the desktop workspace. Not only does this totally eliminate any potential vibration and reflection issues it also allows the speakers to be angled down very slightly to offer perfect tweeter height at the OLP 1/3 of the way down the room. It also means that at the 2nd OLP 2/3 down the room one can sit on a low chair. Again with the tweeter pointing at one directly. Remember what we said about height and angle?

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #18 of 23
They are dear if you don't get them as a bundle with the speakers. It's genuine pro gear though.

$360. I would be damned. I would most probably go with a cheapo metal stand with isoacoustics on top of it.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #19 of 23
I am just curious, I am thinking of getting the DS1 stands for my A5s however, does the angle of the stands distort the stereo field? I have heard that angling your speakers up or down, will distort the perceived stereo field. Is this true? If so, should I be looking at something like the Mopad stands instead?

Thanks

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #20 of 23
  I have also been looking at speaker stands, and I've decided to build my own on the cheap rather than the spend the silly amount of money they often charge for something so simple.

Note also how mas-loading is a problem when they have to ship the stands in compact, easier to carry boxes, disassembled, otherwise the price will be even higher. When you build your own you can make them out of dense wood, or even concrete stands that look like Greco-Roman columns.

I am just curious, I am thinking of getting the DS1 stands for my A5s however, does the angle of the stands distort the stereo field? I have heard that angling your speakers up or down, will distort the perceived stereo field. Is this true? If so, should I be looking at something like the Mopad stands instead?

Thanks

It depends on where your ears are relative to the speakers. If they're the same height or lower then you angle them up then that's going to be a problem.  Otherwise, it can be an improvement, but reflections might affect them differently. I don't see how the MoPad would be any different, in fact given these are universal stands, the speakers will be on them as opposed to resting in a recessed mount as on the specifically designed Audioengine stands, which reduces the likelihood of knocking them over.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #21 of 23

It depends on where your ears are relative to the speakers. If they're the same height or lower then you angle them up then that's going to be a problem.  Otherwise, it can be an improvement, but reflections might affect them differently. I don't see how the MoPad would be any different, in fact given these are universal stands, the speakers will be on them as opposed to resting in a recessed mount as on the specifically designed Audioengine stands, which reduces the likelihood of knocking them over.

AH I understand now; sounds logical enough, thank you.
Can I ask you in what circumstances would warrant an individual to purchase these stands? I'm currently happy with the sound, but if there's more to give by getting the stands, I would immediately oblige. Any comments?

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #22 of 23

AH I understand now; sounds logical enough, thank you.
Can I ask you in what circumstances would warrant an individual to purchase these stands? I'm currently happy with the sound, but if there's more to give by getting the stands, I would immediately oblige. Any comments?

If the speakers are on your desk, putting the midwoofer at elbow level, and you can hear all the sound below you or some sounds are misaligned along the Y-axis (eg female vocals and cymbals that sound like they're above all the other instruments). That's just one scenario and the results aren't guaranteed considering that dispersion angles, toe-in, and reflections in a room can make for a lot of variances. You may have them below ear level but for example if you're sitting far enough from them the sounds will be a bit lower but the Y-axis alignment won't be too bad. It's also possible that you haven't really paid much attention to soundstage - when I first started in more serious audio I couldn't understand what my installer (car) was talking about until I listened to another one of his custom jobs, where every (acoustic) instrument had a well-defined point of origin along the dashboard.

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #23 of 23
I own a pair of Isoacoustics stands and I couldn't be happier with them.  My purpose for integrating them into my setup was twofold: First, to get rid of any unwanted vibrations transferred from the speaker to my crappy Ikea desk; and second, I have them adjusted to point the tweeters at my ears.  In my estimation, this does improve the sound noticeably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back