Speaker Setup for Computer
May 28, 2008 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

[S]uds

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, so I am thinking of leaving the headphone world for speakers(Keeping 1 pair of cans just in case
wink.gif
), so before I do anything, I am going to start considering my options. I am looking to get the best speaker setup I can for my computer, with a price range of $500-$600. Now, I'm not sure what I would be better off doing...

I could possibly spend all $500 on just a great set of speakers, and run them straight from my on-board sound, but I figure I'd be much better off with a speaker/amp/dac combo. Now, after reading around a bit, the speakers I am considering are the av123 X-Series or the AudioEngine Series. But since I am new to this, I'd figure I would ask everyone for their opinions on what would be best to buy for my needs.

I listen to a large amount of Progressive Rock/Metal, but I also listen to some Trance/Techno, and various other genres as well. Not only will these be used for music, they will also be used while gaming and possibly movies as well. I'll generally be listening to them at low/medium levels, but I'd like if they could get quite loud for when I have friends/family over.

I think that is it for now, hope I didn't forget anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 25
For $200-$250, I recommend the Nuforce Icon as a DAC/Amp/Headphone amp. Then add some compact bookshelf sized speakers, and you'd be pretty well set. It's not going to be overly loud but loud enough to fill a typical bedroom.

The Av123 would be fine for a speaker but you should consider a top rated speaker like the $229 PSB B15 which is still managable on a desktop.

May 29, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 25
It seems the Image B25 and AV123 X-Series are universally recommended, so I'll probably grab one of those. As for the Amp/Dac, I'm not quite sure yet. I just can't take the NuForce Icon seriously(heh), but if it gets recommended again, I'll definitely consider it.

Any other opinions are gladly welcomed.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by uds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't take the NuForce Icon seriously(heh),

Why not? Nuforce built their name making amps that cost thousands of dollars usually sold in audiophile shops, with very high praise

The Icon is good at what it does, a great low cost mini desktop amp. Of course, it's not going to beat out a much more expensive amp, but it's a great unit for exactly what most people need, a central hub for a decent sounding nearfield computer audio system. I'd have no problem recommending the Icon matched to speakers up to $1000 a pair.

if you don't mind full sized components and have a bigger budget, for around $450, I'd recommend a Cambridge Audio Azur 340A + something like a Emu 0404 USB. That would give you a lot more power, and a higher grade DAC than what you get in the Icon.

May 29, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 25
I can't really spend much more than $600. I failed to mention that I already own a Zero DAC/Amp, but I was planning on selling that to use the extra money to fun the speaker purchase. If I keep it, my budget drops to, say, $450.

And space isn't a big concern. I am in a decent size room and have plenty of space.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 25
Alright, also consider the Pioneer A35R amp for $200 and keeping your Zero as a DAC. If your room is big, then the Icon ain't gonna cut it.

May 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 25
My advice? Take it slow. Save up as much $$ as possible before each purchase. Make every part of the setup as solid a performer as possible.

See mine?
X-LS Elites--$1000 if you buy from Ninja, I bought used from a guy that did the mods himself for $337 shipped. They won the small speaker shootout.
Emotiva Bpa-1--got 2 of these 150 watt monoblocks(they do stereo or even sub amp duties, VERY flexible) for $250.
TAD sub--outstanding entry level 12" that does a great job blending in. Got it on special for $120.
Trends Audio UD-10 usb to coax converter. Makes my laptop a decent source.
Pacific Valve modded dac--bought broken for $50. Fixed the ground issue by simple replacement and solder job.
BJC cables all around. cheap and solid.

It took me 6 months to do this. Sound is as good as anything I have heard short of true full range towers in a treated room with $10K of electronics driving them.

May 30, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 25
All subjective. The X-LS are easily upgrade able too. Mine would be better than the B25 with their mods. More $$ though.

The X-LS are good all around speakers in that they come close to full range in the bass area.

May 30, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 25
Spend most of your money on the speakers. Speakers/headphones give you 95% of the sound in your system, in my experience (despite all the hype of DACs, ampilfiers, cables, power accessories, etc.).

May 30, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 25
Say I raised my budget to $700, $750 MAX, would the recommendations change?

I was thinking of grabbing the AV123 X-Series Speakers + Sub- woofer(which comes to about $560 w/o shipping, meaning probably $600+ Shipped). But that would only leave me $100-$150 for an Amp/DAC. What do you think?

May 30, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 25
Also, How do the Audio Engine A5 sound compared to the other speakers I have been looking at? I was thinking I could just grab a pair of them and run them off my Zero DAC(If possible, need input on this). Since they already have an amp in them, I would save some money. I would also be able to keep one of my higher end phones and run them off the Zero DAC/Amp as well. This seems like a better option for me, depending on their SQ and if they can run off my Zero DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 25
the Audioengine A5 is very good, I'd recommend it for its price. I think it would be a better balanced system if you had a A5 + Zero DAC + good headphone than if you sold all that and put a cheap amp with a Av123 system

May 31, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 25
Thank you for the insight, Warpdriver. I think I am going to go the balanced set-up.
smily_headphones1.gif

A couple of quick questions though. The A5 Bamboo version shouldn't sound any different that the others correct(Not sure if different wood enclosures would affect the sound in any way)? It looks amazing, but if that is the only difference the $125 could be spent elsewhere.

Also, what IC would I need to connect my Zero to the speakers? Would I just need an RCA -> Mini?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Do these speakers lack in the bass department at all? I'm not looking for huge bass, just enough to feel the impact from movies/games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back